Skip to main content

Don’t Get Bitter, Sis

In six years, I’ll be 40.

I was recently reminded of this after visiting my PCP (primary care physician) for my annual physical. I was informed that I was healthy and taking good care of myself and was reminded of important areas to focus on while nearing my mid-30s and eventually approaching my 40s. I left my appointment feeling fine and content. Then later, I began thinking about aging and different women I know already in their mid-30s (and some who are right at 40) who are disappointed about getting older and others who are bitter about the current state of their lives.

These different women I know, who I think are some of the most brilliant, beautiful, and intelligent women I’ve ever met, are successful in individual ways but have expressed how lonely, frustrated, and upset they’ve been about not ending up with men they thought they were going to settle down with, having to forfeit on having children because of factors like age, health risks, or fertility challenges, and being repeatedly overlooked in their workplaces when it comes to recognition for their hard work and being unchosen for promotions. While I can’t relate to every situation some of them have gone through (and are actively moving through), I do understand how years and years of things not turning out like you hoped and prayed can cause someone to grow bitter.

I struggled a lot in my 20s with finishing college, trying to establish myself professionally, and wrestled with wanting a serious relationship and eventually a spouse and family of my own. When I turned 25, and none of those things were coming together, I got frustrated, sad, and angry. Especially when other women around me had already had their degrees, were beginning their careers, and getting engagement rings and husbands. It was hard to watch and experience from the outside looking in. I don’t recall growing bitter back then, but I did struggle sometimes. As a faithful Christian woman who was committed to my walk with God and doing things His way, I couldn’t wrap my mind around why things seemed harder for me and why I constantly felt delayed and denied.

However, things began to shift after I turned 30.

My 30s have felt like my “getting established” decade. After I finished school (in my late 20s), landed my first career opportunity as an academic advisor (for three years), started getting published writing opportunities, made a career shift, and went back to school again to become a licensed English teacher, increased my salary, bought a house, adopted a pup, and tried dating again (only to run into a handful of guys who either aren’t ready to settle down yet, are starting families with nightmare women, or who prefer ghosting vs. being upfront about being disinterested), I’m now in a space where I’m embracing my single girl era and actively praying that I don’t grow bitter. My aim is to remain thankful for what I do have instead of lamenting over what I don’t.

I believe God is faithful, but I also understand that sometimes life’s not always fair. Truthfully?

Thots get engagement rings and husbands.

Bogus colleagues get awards and promotions.

Horrible women have healthy pregnancies and babies.

And the list could go on and on…


It’s just important not to grow bitter. Bitterness will rot and ruin you. If you’re a woman struggling with bitterness right now, I want to encourage you not to stay there. Life may not have gone in the direction you imagined, but don’t let bitterness poison you. Perhaps God is working on something bigger than what you can see right now. Even as you move through singleness, loneliness, heartbreak, confusion, barrenness, unfair promotions, and provocations from different men and women in your life, don’t get bitter, sis. I'll continue praying for you. You've got this.

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far