Skip to main content

You Can’t Help People Who Don’t Listen

As we approach the end of another year, I’ve taken some time to reflect on what this year has been like, areas I want to grow in and improve upon, and different things I both want and need to change while preparing for the year to come. And one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned while reflecting on this year is that you can’t help people who don’t listen. 

Throughout my life, I’ve often found myself as the “go to” person for advice, wisdom, and guidance regarding different decisions in the lives of different family members, friends, significant others, colleagues, and sometimes even acquaintances. While it’s been flattering to be a source of help, it’s equally been frustrating when I’m asked for advice (that’s typically not followed… until things go up in smoke) after those who approached me for advice in the first place, have already made a decision that completely goes against the wisdom that was shared with them to avoid a messy, chaotic, and sometimes heartbreaking, outcome.

 

Months ago, I had a dream I was actively witnessing someone I cared about going through a rough time that impacted them in a major way. As I stood and watched things unfold, I sighed deeply, shook my head, and in this dream, I said, “No one listens to me until things go up in smoke.” When I woke up, I thought, “Welp, that sounds about right.”

 

In my own life, I’ve often tried to help people who have approached me for advice, especially when I could see that some of the decisions they were (and weren’t) making, weren’t going to end well for them. Almost every time I inserted myself into some of these situations, my stepping in still didn’t change the mind of the person who wouldn’t listen. I eventually learned and understood that once someone decides not to listen, they’re going to do whatever they want. This pattern went on and on until one day one of my colleagues sat me down and said, “Ms. Heard, look at me and listen. You are not responsible for what other people do.” 

 

When our eyes locked and I thought about what those words meant, they stuck with me. 

 

I am not responsible for what other people do. More specifically, what they choose to do. 

 

A new wave of peace entered my life the moment I started pulling back. I’m a great listener but when I know someone won’t listen to reason or common sense, and choose not to do the right thing, I shut my mouth and carry on. I don’t consider myself an advice expert, as I don’t know everything, and like many others, I’m doing my best to make good choices, while also figuring things out as I go. I often seek God first, reach out to wise counsel, and then move. I’ve definitely made some mistakes, had some setbacks, and was able to recover from those situations well, but I could have avoided many painful moments if I’d just listened to God, the wise counsel He placed in my life (in the form of my parents and different mentors I’ve met along the way), and then made my next moves.        


One thing I'd encourage everyone to do as this year ends and a new one begins is to learn to listen. I understand that all advice is not good (or even beneficial), but you can actively seek God and ask Him to reveal what advice would be best for you regarding any choices, moves, or pending decisions you're considering. Also, seeking wise counsel can be beneficial too.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...