Skip to main content

The Things You See Coming… And The Things You Don’t

Before the beginning of this summer, I received some heavy news. 

News that felt like someone knocked the wind out of me, and at the same time, snatched my heart out of my chest. News that had me on the phone with two of my closest confidants barely being able to talk because of what I was processing. News that made me really sit, strategize, reevaluate, and reprioritize different things in my life. News that had me reaching out to my prayer warrior friends to intercede on my behalf. And news that had me petitioning heartfelt prayers to God with the words, “If I can do this, God, let’s move forward. If not, I need you to help me get through this. Not my will but yours. You’re still so good, even when I get what I want and when I don’t.”

 

Then I stepped away and waited. Then He answered. And then with His approval and a whole lot of faith (with works), I’ve been handling my business. And though there have been times when I’ve been tired, discouraged, and uncertain of what the future holds, I’ve been intentional about doing my best to remain present and thankful for this incredible life I get to live. I could choose to worry, cry, scream, break things, feel sorry for myself… or I could choose to have peace and trust God. I know He wouldn’t give me a test I can’t pass, and I know that He’s already ordered my steps. Even when those steps are hard, uncomfortable, and sometimes scary. 

 

One of the things I’m observing and learning about life is that you’re only a phone call, text message, email, or conversation away from your life being changed unexpectedly. There will be things you see coming… and there will be things you don’t. And when this happens, no matter what's going on, remember that you are in God’s hands. You are always in His hands. 

 

Though my family and trusted confidants are aware of the details about what’s happening, I’m pausing on writing about everything until I get to the other side of things. However, I have been putting pen to paper as things move forward. And I’m confident that once this chapter approaches completion, the masterpiece story I’ve been longing to write will come together in an encouraging, meaningful, and purposeful way that will help others who need it the most. No matter what life brings your way, stay the course. You’ve got this. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...