Skip to main content

If You're Not Interested (Or Truly Available), Leave That Woman Alone

Earlier this year, I’d been praying about getting into a serious relationship. 

Shortly after I started praying, it seemed as if guys started popping up from all over the place – through my social media inbox, through some serendipitous encounters whenever I was out minding my business, and even through a close friend who asked if she could give my number to a guy she knew and wanted to introduce me to (who ultimately ended up never reaching out). Some of these encounters went nowhere, were very surface-level and superficial, and felt like a complete waste of my time. Beyond a few casual conversations and little to no chemistry or follow ups, I found myself disappointed at every turn. 

 

And then I ran into someone who almost immediately struck my interest. He was nice, smart, and well put together. Though we didn’t know each other long, we chatted a bit and kept randomly crossing paths. So when I noticed he didn’t have a ring on his finger, I wondered if he was truly available. I could have just asked, but instead, I prayed. It’s just something I do when I want God’s take on things – even with things like this. 

 

God, is he who you have in mind? If so, give me a sign

 

About a week after I sent that prayer up, I found out that guy was taken. Like, really taken. Married taken. But he didn’t carry himself like a married guy. He wasn’t super flirty or anything, but he also wasn’t vocal about his status. And when I realized this, I kept my distance. I don’t play with fire, and I’m all about boundaries and being respectful of other people’s relationships. But what’s been scary is moving through a world where so many people aren’t always honest or entirely upfront about who they really are. It’s tough trying to date in this climate. 

 

Sometimes it’s hard to tell who’s single and who’s not, who’s being truthful and who’s not, who’s truly interested in you for who you are as a person, or an opportunist trying to use you to get ahead. My whole thing with dudes across the board is this – if you’re not interested in someone or truly available, leave that person alone. Don’t lead someone on, take advantage of them, play games, waste their time, or lie. Be thorough and upfront about who you are, where you’re at, and where someone stands with you. If you’re not ready for something serious, speak up. If you’re not sure what you want, stay away. If you’re in a relationship and are already spoken for, kick rocks. Also, if you’re married, wear your ring, so there’s no room for questioning or confusion. 

 

As this year ends and a new one approaches, I don’t want to be sad, frustrated, or bitter about this prayer request. I want to leave things in God’s hands and move on. I still believe God is good, even when we get what we want and when we don’t, but I often struggle to understand why He allows so many good women to go without quality significant others, while women who are moving messy and reckless are the ones finding love, receiving proposals, having weddings, settling down, and starting families. It just doesn’t make sense to me. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far