Skip to main content

Where (And With Whom) Do You Feel Marginalized?

In one of my graduate courses, I recently completed a paper about reflecting on where I see myself in the world. And the prompt for the paper asked the following question: Where and with whom do you feel marginalized? The prompt struck my interest because marginalization is something I’ve often had a lot of thoughts on – mainly because I’ve often felt marginalized almost my entire life. I’m only 31, but I can remember feeling marginalized throughout my childhood and as a teenager as I became more aware of the impact of my race, my identity as a Christian, and redefining the kind of woman I’ve aimed to be as an adult.  

As I responded to the prompt, I felt relieved because I was able to candidly express and share what some of my experiences have been like as a young Black girl who’s always had a drive and desire to be an ambitious and successful woman – only to find myself criticized and misunderstood (by different family members, friends, non-Black peers and colleagues, and women who are moms and wives) for choosing to invest in myself and a life of my own instead of silencing my voice, settling for less, or taking on the roles of a wife or a mom. I’ve learned that if you’re a woman who isn’t willing to be docile and subservient, “traditional,” or willing to allow others to control and dictate your life choices, some people will quickly form impressions or assumptions about you based on their limited perspectives.

 

I know myself, and I know I’ll never be content with settling for less or be cool with trying to be who or what others want me to be, especially if it means pretending to be someone I’m not. I want to be my own woman and do great and meaningful things with my life. And while I’m not entirely sure if a husband or a child will be a part of my story, I’ve realized that you don’t need a significant other or a child to have a fulfilling or meaningful life. I know that might be hard for some people to understand, especially women who are moms or wives and for women who want to be moms or wives someday, but why should I put my life on hold when I can go my own way? My choices don’t have to align with everyone else’s. And I shouldn’t be penalized, criticized, or marginalized for going a different way. Yet, I’ve endured some of the most confusing, thoughtless, mean-spirited, and obnoxious comments from women who are moms and wives like:

 

“Well, you’re not a mom, so you don’t understand.” 

“You don’t have kids, so you don’t understand.” 

“You’re single, so you should be willing to be more flexible.” 

“You don’t have the same financial responsibilities as I do.

“You’re just jealous because you’re not married.”

 “You’re selfish.” 

 

And much more.

 

My life, my time, and the things I’ve got going on matter to me and are just as valuable as any other woman’s life and time are too. And I’m not any less of a woman or should feel the need to willingly surrender my time, resources, or energy to what others want because I’m not married and don’t have kids. 

 

Feeling marginalized as a Black woman in the workplace (and within the world) has been an interesting experience as well. My age, race, sex, and religion have all been areas that have been tested in ways I never imagined. And the racism, sexism, and experiences with harassment and microaggressions within the workplace have been challenging to move through too. As a Black woman, I know what it’s like to be called “angry” or “difficult” for standing up for myself when I’ve been disrespected and mistreated. I also know what it’s like to be mishandled by colleagues in higher positions who’ve been able to get away with their bad behavior. I know what it’s like to be treated like I’m invisible and don’t matter. And I know what it’s like to feel unsafe. These experiences can feel dehumanizing, but I do my best to move through them as best as I can. In a past workplace role, I ended up seeking professional counseling when some of the experiences I had started taking a toll on my mental health. I’m in a better place now, but the trauma from some of those experiences has taken time to heal from. 


Marginalization is an interesting thing to unpack because I believe it's something that many people experience but don't always know how to cope with or discuss. And many people may not feel comfortable doing so. I just hope that if you're someone who's ever felt marginalized or currently feels marginalized to know that you're not alone. It's not easy to be the one that's "different," moves differently, or goes a different way, but you don't have to do what everyone else is doing or be who others want you to be. Just do you and embrace the person you're becoming. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far