Skip to main content

Have You Ever Met A Hater Doing Better Than You?

I don’t like haters. I don’t like their negative energy, their shade, or their refusal to celebrate others who are doing well in life. When I’ve taken the time to study them, I’ve often tried to figure out why anyone would choose to hate or actively hate on someone who’s done absolutely nothing to them. It just doesn’t make sense to me. Yet, we live in a world where many people are haters. And if you are successful in any area of your life, inevitably you will have them. The unsettling thing about this is that you don’t have to do anything wrong for them to come your way. Haters hate, and their hatred can come in various forms:

A shady comment.

A petty dig.

An unfriendly social media post.

In silence. *Watch how people act when you share your good news and pay very close attention. You’ll see. 

And more. 

 

Experiencing hate on any level can feel uncomfortable, unsettling, and sometimes scary. Especially since a lot of hate can stem from jealousy and insecurities another person may be battling. Sadly, incredible moments in your life may be a source of agony, envy, and bitterness for some people who think you have it made. A while back, one of my coworkers reached out to me to inform me that another coworker had been privately keeping tabs on me and making some unconstructive comments about my work performance. She went on to say that the person talking about me was a hater who was just jealous, wanted my job, wasn’t someone worth losing sleep over, and that I was doing well at work. It was the strangest thing. I’d been nothing but nice to the woman who was allegedly jealous. I couldn’t understand why she had an issue with me and although I was advised not to lose sleep over what she thought, I did.

 

I tossed and turned that night wondering what I could have possibly said or done for this woman to feel the need to clock my moves and to criticize my work performance. And looking back, I realized that I'd lost quality sleep over something I had no control over – what someone else thought of me. That wasn’t the first time I had an experience like that, and it may not be the last. But what I do know is this – I’ve never met a hater doing better than me. Have you? Think about it. I don’t write this to flex, or from a place of pride, or arrogance, but I’ve never met a hater who was thriving. Typically I’ve noticed that the main people throwing shade, unnecessary criticism, and negativity are struggling with issues within themselves that have little to do with who they’re hating on. But regardless, I don’t believe anyone should let haters bring them down.

 

Again, if you’re successful, working on yourself and improving, and making some awesome moves, the haters won’t be too far away. But before you get upset, lose sleep over them, or think about all the ways you can clap back, understand that no one and nothing is worth compromising your integrity. Some things just aren’t worth it. Tune out the noise, rise above it, and stay focused. After all, have you ever met a hater doing better than you? 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...