Skip to main content

Have You Ever Met A Hater Doing Better Than You?

I don’t like haters. I don’t like their negative energy, their shade, or their refusal to celebrate others who are doing well in life. When I’ve taken the time to study them, I’ve often tried to figure out why anyone would choose to hate or actively hate on someone who’s done absolutely nothing to them. It just doesn’t make sense to me. Yet, we live in a world where many people are haters. And if you are successful in any area of your life, inevitably you will have them. The unsettling thing about this is that you don’t have to do anything wrong for them to come your way. Haters hate, and their hatred can come in various forms:

A shady comment.

A petty dig.

An unfriendly social media post.

In silence. *Watch how people act when you share your good news and pay very close attention. You’ll see. 

And more. 

 

Experiencing hate on any level can feel uncomfortable, unsettling, and sometimes scary. Especially since a lot of hate can stem from jealousy and insecurities another person may be battling. Sadly, incredible moments in your life may be a source of agony, envy, and bitterness for some people who think you have it made. A while back, one of my coworkers reached out to me to inform me that another coworker had been privately keeping tabs on me and making some unconstructive comments about my work performance. She went on to say that the person talking about me was a hater who was just jealous, wanted my job, wasn’t someone worth losing sleep over, and that I was doing well at work. It was the strangest thing. I’d been nothing but nice to the woman who was allegedly jealous. I couldn’t understand why she had an issue with me and although I was advised not to lose sleep over what she thought, I did.

 

I tossed and turned that night wondering what I could have possibly said or done for this woman to feel the need to clock my moves and to criticize my work performance. And looking back, I realized that I'd lost quality sleep over something I had no control over – what someone else thought of me. That wasn’t the first time I had an experience like that, and it may not be the last. But what I do know is this – I’ve never met a hater doing better than me. Have you? Think about it. I don’t write this to flex, or from a place of pride, or arrogance, but I’ve never met a hater who was thriving. Typically I’ve noticed that the main people throwing shade, unnecessary criticism, and negativity are struggling with issues within themselves that have little to do with who they’re hating on. But regardless, I don’t believe anyone should let haters bring them down.

 

Again, if you’re successful, working on yourself and improving, and making some awesome moves, the haters won’t be too far away. But before you get upset, lose sleep over them, or think about all the ways you can clap back, understand that no one and nothing is worth compromising your integrity. Some things just aren’t worth it. Tune out the noise, rise above it, and stay focused. After all, have you ever met a hater doing better than you? 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far