Skip to main content

A Glimpse Into The Future

At the beginning of last month, I wrestled with thoughts about quitting writing. I planned to stop blogging at the end of this year, and to pull back on submitting monthly article submissions to another platform I’ve been writing for (for almost three years now) too. I love writing, and it’s something I’ve been doing since I was a kid, but as I kept writing and sharing my work, I felt like it wasn’t making as much of a difference as I’d hoped. I’d been praying about the best time to stop and was also growing weary with figuring out how to juggle writing, teaching, and grad school, so I knew something had to change.

As things moved forward and my decision to quit was just about made, one of the most unexpected things happened: I received a message on Facebook from an ABC producer reaching out on behalf of daytime talk show Tamron Hall on ABC. She messaged me and shared that they were working on an episode featuring Tyra Banks that was all about believing in your dreams, and that they were reaching out to people who have either worked with or been inspired by Tyra. The producer went on to write that she’d read an article I wrote about Tyra on Thought Catalog and wanted to reach out and see if I had any availability to discuss the possibility of joining them on the show.

 

ABC? Daytime talk show Tamron Hall? And Tyra Banks?! 

 

Ummmmm…what?!

 

I couldn’t believe it. 

 

First, the article I wrote about Tyra was one I wrote about two years ago. So I was surprised to be contacted about it. I’ve been a Tyra Banks fan since I was a kid and have followed her career for a long time. She’s a woman who’s inspired me in a tremendous amount of ways – from her iconic Sports Illustrated covers (she was the first Black woman to land a solo cover with SI in 1996) to the different shows and films she’s appeared in and the platforms she’s built (like The Tyra Banks Show and America’s Next Top Model), along with her boss lady empire, she’s definitely someone who’s encouraged me to believe in myself. I also admire how she’s taken risks and shattered glass ceilings for other women too. She’s amazing. And Tamron Hall is too. Receiving invitations to join these inspiring and powerful women felt like God giving me a glimpse into my future.

 

Sadly, I couldn’t join them due to scheduling conflicts (and because the Facebook message didn’t come through to me until days later after it was sent – which broke my heart and led to an ugly cry). When I reached out to follow up, I was informed that the segment with Tyra had already been filmed. I’m not sure why there was a delay with the message coming through, but everything happens for a reason, right? Or at least that’s what I was told when I expressed how bummed I was that things didn’t work out. Though I was disappointed I didn’t get to participate, the producer kept my contact information and wrote that she’d be in touch if there was another segment I’d be a good fit for. So not all was lost. A connection was still made.

 

And this encounter encouraged me to keep writing. 

 

If being messaged by an ABC producer in New York about an article I wrote about Tyra Banks two years ago is any indication of what my future may hold? I’d say I’ve got one hell of an exciting one ahead of me. One opportunity could change your entire life. I didn’t get to connect with Tyra or be on daytime television with Tamron Hall (yet), but there’s still hope for the future. Something tells me that this glimpse is just a sign of things to come. 


In the meantime, I'll still be praying, writing, and waiting. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far