Skip to main content

The Steps Of A Good Woman

Living and moving through the uncertainties of life can feel uncomfortable sometimes. Whether you’re a person of faith or not, not knowing what’s going to happen next can stir feelings of stress, worry, anxiousness, anxiety, uneasiness, and discomfort. If I can be honest, lately, I’ve been wrestling with a combination of these things. I’ve recently entered an exciting yet busy season of teaching, new (and super-duper exciting) writing opportunities, training a new fur baby, and grad school – all of which I’m thankful for, however as I move forward, I’m also aware that the world is still moving through a global pandemic, along with people who refuse to wear masks and others who refuse to get vaccinated to stop the spread. Which is scary, especially when so many men, women, and children are getting sick and dying. It’s also been disappointing living in a culture of entitlement, seeing the celebration and rapid normalization of bogus behavior, and observing the condemnation of people who are trying to live their lives right.  

I’ve also been praying about some specific areas I’d like to see change, and while I know God hears me and isn’t limited by my limitations, there have still been days when I’ve doubted Him and felt down and discouraged. Regardless of how I may feel, I’ve still prayed about being consistent and have strived to remain faithful and obedient to Him. Even through a pandemic, prayers that seem to be on hold, and uncertainties that have left me with a lot of questions. One thing that’s brought me to a place of peace is knowing that no matter what happens next, my steps are already ordered by the Lord. Psalm 37:23-24 reads, “The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand.” 

 

I’ve had some good days, and I’ve had some challenging and frustrating ones, but knowing that my steps are already ordered, and that God is still in control helps. I want to be a good woman. I want to be in the spaces and places God wants me to be. I want what He wants for me. I want to move with purpose. I want to shift the culture in positive ways. And I want to move through my thirties with joy, contentment, peace, prosperity, success, and exciting moments and memories that I won’t forget. I’m not entirely sure of what my future holds, but I’m choosing to trust the one who holds it. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...