Skip to main content

Drop Everything And Read: It’s Not Supposed To Be This Way

Lysa TerKeurst is an extraordinary writer. I’d read one of her books a few years back titled, Uninvited, and loved how she addressed the topic of rejection, so I guess it shouldn’t have surprised me that It’s Not Supposed to Be This Way would be brilliant too. When I read this book, I felt like God was sitting in bed with me as I read each page. Once I started reading and began the first few chapters, I was in tears because I’d never read a book from a Christian writer that was as open, vulnerable, and authentic as Lysa’s story and words were in It’s Not Supposed to Be This Way. If you’ve ever felt as if there were moments or experiences in your life that didn’t make sense, left you heartbroken, or wondering, “God, where are you in all this?” Then this book is for you. I believe that this book is powerful and will speak to you in some special ways if you’re open to checking it out. I’ve been through seasons that have been challenging, painful, and left me utterly disappointed with myself and even God at different times, so books like this let me know that it’s okay to be real with Him and with others we trust about the things we go through in this life. 

If you're moving through a season of uncertainty right now, I want to lift you up in prayer through this blog post and let you know that you are not alone. God is with you and I'm praying for you too. I know moving through uncertainty can be scary, frustrating, and uncomfortable, but as Lysa writes in It's Not Supposed to Be This Way, "Sometimes you just have to walk in your I don't know." Again, God is with you, and I hope you will check this book out for yourself and be blessed.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...