Skip to main content

Should Christian Couples Live Together Before Marriage?

When the topic of Christian couples living together before marriage came up on The Godly Dating 101 Podcast, I was blown away. The conversation on the topic was very forward, insightful, and timely. And while I know this is a topic that can be uncomfortable to discuss, here’s the thing. I’m not here to judge anyone. I have unmarried non-Christian family members and friends who’ve lived (or are currently living) with their significant others. And I have unmarried Christian family members and friends who’ve lived (or are currently living) with their significant others too. To each their own. However, as for me and my house? The answer will always be hell no to living together before marriage. Even if there’s been a stunning proposal, a beautiful ring placed on my finger, and a standing engagement, the answer will still be no.  

I refuse to be a live-in girlfriend or fiancée. I’m also not going to date someone and wait several years for a proposal either. My time is valuable, and I imagine yours is too. 

 

I believe many women are afraid to be upfront with guys about stuff like this. But here’s how I see it. Boyfriends and fiancés aren’t husbands. Therefore, they don’t deserve husband privileges. They also shouldn’t be taking up years of your life without a conversation (that should occur early) about their intentions with you. If there’s no serious future or commitment in sight, why let them waste your time? We can’t keep letting these guys get away with this stuff. Ladies, please remember, you are the prize in this scenario. So have an “I am the prize” mindset. The right men will step up, and the right one will respect you. 

 

As a thirtysomething Christian woman, I understand my choice isn’t popular. And I know there are a ton of people who may never understand why I won’t bend on this. But in a time where there’s a lot of gray areas on different things, this is one thing that’s non-negotiable for me. Especially with the position I’m in as a believer. I know better. Old school believers already know why this is something the church doesn’t condone or recommend. However, some new school believers aren’t waiting anymore. A lot of them are hooking up, shacking up, and are on some, “I’m grown and can do whatever I want” stuff. And if you are grown, you can do what you want. But as a Christian, are the choices you’re making God’s best for you? Growing up, I slowly watched different Christian girls I grew up with slip out of the church and into the world. Consequently, there were a handful of heartbreaks, unplanned and unwanted pregnancies, rushed marriages, abrupt separations and divorces, and dysfunctional relationships that followed. Once guys came into the picture and a lot of the girls I once knew started getting in relationships and sleeping around, our friendships eventually faded. To this day, many of us no longer speak or keep in touch. And as painful and lonely as it was for me to lose those friendships, having them end was for the best. I soon realized that this walk with God wasn’t going to be an easy one. It definitely comes with a price. 

 

None of us are perfect, but there was once a time when Christians had certain standards about themselves that set them apart. Romans 12:2 reads, “Do not copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” Interestingly enough, there was a time when I was totally fine with compromising on this. When I was 22 and met someone I thought was my future husband 😂, I told my mom, “I think couples should cohabitate together before marriage. That way, they know what it’s going to be like sharing a space with the other person.” She looked at me. She paused. Then she shook her head and responded, “Your generation is just different.” 

 

Looking back, I can’t believe I said what I said. I blame my twentysomething immaturity and lack of wisdom. Some Christians and non-Christians who live with their significant others before marriage do go on to get married…sometimes. But things don’t always work out that way for everyone. My advice to young women, especially those in their twenties and thirties who are Christians, is to keep walking with God. I know it’s not easy or always feels fair or fun, but if it’s God’s will for you to marry, He’ll connect you with someone who will respect your choice to pause on living together until after the wedding.


It'll be worth the wait. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far