Skip to main content

When God Blesses Someone You Don’t Like

When I was in my mid-twenties, I was super insecure about being unmarried. I often masked it behind pretending to be super confident about being a single woman, and though that confidence was authentic sometimes, privately, I wanted to settle down. I was one of those young women raised in church my entire life, did everything I was supposed to, checked all the boxes women raised in church are supposed to check and was never wild or reckless when it came to guys. Plus, I’d been faithful in my walk with God, so surely a husband would be on the way, right? 

Then I turned 26…27…28…29…and then I was 30. Now, I’m 31. 

 

And although I’m not married, I’m loving where I’m at in life right now. But before this time, I was struggling. Especially when I saw how God blessed other women with husbands. More specifically, women, I didn’t like. Women who were scandalous. Women who were boastful about their relationships. And arrogant, obnoxious, and sometimes rude and mean towards women who weren’t in relationships and unmarried. Watching women I didn’t like being blessed with what I’d prayed, waited, and asked God for, made me mad, sad, and so confused. The timeline of things didn’t make sense to me either. Granted, some of those marriages didn’t last, but looking back, I didn’t like how things were going in my own life, so my saltiness was more about me and less about them. Deep down I knew that no matter how I felt about God blessing women I didn’t like, the Christian thing to do would be to take the high road and wish those ladies well. Which I tried my best to do, but still fell short sometimes. 

 

As a Christian, this is an area I’ve had to do a heart check with many, many times. 

 

The same thing happened when after bringing my A-game and putting in a ton of hard work at a former company I was at, myself and other colleagues I worked closely with, ended up training new employees who were eventually promoted over us and became our superiors. That was not a pleasant season to move through. It felt humiliating and so uncomfortable. I even shut down at one point when I would arrive to work in the mornings – around that time, I would walk in the building, not speak to anyone, and begrudgingly sit in my cubicle thinking about how soon I could update my résumé so I could bounce. Not speaking or saying good morning when I’d arrive was totally out of character for me, and I had to get myself together quickly. Shortly after, I put my big girl panties on and ended up sending almost everyone who was promoted congratulation emails. Always aim to take the high road, even when it doesn’t feel good. 

 

There was another time when a middle school nemesis who terrorized me when I was a teenager was transitioned into a manager role at that same company. Did I mention that I found out she was engaged around the time I was still there too? Isn’t life funny? We weren’t really on speaking terms, and she would often actively avoid me, so maybe giving her a congratulations on your engagement card would have been kind of awkward. Who knows? 

 

There have been numerous times when I've watched someone I didn’t particularly care for get blessed with a new opportunity, a new relationship, dope material things, you name it, and more, and on the inside, I’d be thinking Bye, Felicia, nobody cares about what you got going on until God got on me and dealt with my heart. And while I’d like to say I’m fully delivered, every now and then I still have to check myself. God blesses who He wants to bless. And who He chooses to do that for is none of my business. There may be people looking at my life who don’t like me, thinking I don’t deserve the blessings I have either, but is that my business? Not really. So, how do you react when God blesses someone you don’t like? Especially if that certain someone happens to be someone mean-spirited or unkind towards you or others? Would you celebrate and congratulate them? Or would you throw shade, or say nothing at all? 

 

It’s an interesting thing to think about. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far