Skip to main content

A Sexy Slay, A Classy Way

I’m a huge fan of Ayesha Curry.

I love her style, her cookbooks, her cookware line, and the fact that she’s been able to make her own name as a wife, a mother, and a businesswoman. Did I mention that she also has endorsements, collaborations, and her own winery (Domaine Curry), and a lifestyle magazine (Sweet July) too? She’s making her own moves and her own paper, which is super dope. She also doesn’t shy away from speaking her mind, which at times has brought some criticism her way. Back in 2015, she posted the following on Twitter:

 

Everyone’s into barely wearing clothes these days huh? Not my style. I like to keep the good stuff covered up for the one who matters. 

 

Just looking at the latest fashion trends. I’ll take classy over trendy any day of the week.

 

After she tweeted, some folks on social media weren’t happy. And a lot of people felt some type of way. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with her posts. I believe a woman can still be classy and trendy covered up, and that’s something that’d be cool to see more. I like to think of it as a sexy slay, a classy way. So what if she or anyone else wasn’t into what happened to be trendy at the time? If someone prefers to keep the “good stuff” covered up, that’s their choice. I think the backlash came when women who aren’t into covering up felt judged and attacked and felt as if Ayesha came off like she was above other women (as I read in one comment of several) that appeared online. I also think that some women are just haters. Ayesha Curry is smart, massively successful, and gorgeous. Plus, she’s married to one of the most successful players in the entire NBA. So inevitably, she has haters. It’s just crazy how people get upset when someone has a different take on things. I understand what this is like, because as a Christian woman, there have been plenty of times when my views on certain things went against what was popular or trendy. And as a result, I’ve been criticized and misunderstood. Plenty of times. Romans 12:2 reads, “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” 

 

So, it wasn’t at all shocking to me when last May, Ayesha was called a hypocrite after posting and tagging pics of herself (to her husband) on Instagram in a bikini showing her toned and incredible body after she’d lost some weight. I rock bikinis too, and was once called a sinner for wearing one, so I’ve been there. Social media came for her again when the pics dropped, and while her husband and a ton of fans seemed to praise and love the pictures, others felt that because she was in a bikini, she was being a hypocrite. Here’s the thing: when she was wearing that bikini, she was with her husband, who also happened to be the one who snapped the pics. Trendy clothes and bikinis are two different things. So how is she a hypocrite? And more importantly, why can’t we just let people live their lives, wear what they want, and have their own opinions on things? Sheesh.


How a woman chooses to slay or select her choice of swimwear is her decision, not anyone else's. However, I'll take classy over trendy any day of the week too. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far