Skip to main content

I Get It From Both Sides Too, Sis

I’ll never forget the day when a former colleague and I connected over a shared experience that we both tried to dissect and understand as Black women. Our experience revolved around trying to thrive and survive as Black professionals who have had to endure shade and far too many microaggressions (is that your real hair, you should straighten your hair, I don’t see color, do you live in a house, how can you afford that house/car/designer dress, like, oh my gosh, you’re so smart, you’re not like other Black people… just to point out a handful.) Please, feel free to take your pick – they’ve all come from prejudice and sometimes oblivious non-Black people who have felt threatened and intimidated by us. We also unpacked the same treatment we’ve received from those within our race, who have felt equally if not more threatened and intimidated and have made stupid jokes and assumptions about who they think we are as opposed to who we really are. This kind of stuff might sound crazy, but it happens a lot. 

My former colleague who also happens to be brilliant, beautiful, and very intelligent – this girl has multiple college degrees under her belt, a solid and impressive resumé, and can hold herself down on her own, once told me that a former Black manager where we worked told her, “It took me a long time to get where I am, and you’re not going to get this position.” Read that again. What’s crazy is that my colleague wasn’t even checking for her manager’s position. She also mentioned that she was once addressed about her choice of clothing after concerns about her “shape” became a problem. Mind you, my colleague had a fabulous figure, so clearly jealousy from other women in our department was the underlying issue. But anyway. It’s just mad sad to encounter anyone, especially other women, especially other Black women, who are haters who also have a crab mentality when it comes to opportunities in and outside of the workplace. Unfortunately, some people don’t think there’s enough room for everyone to succeed. So, those same people who feel threatened do everything they can to try and discourage anyone they perceive as a threat. I’ll never understand it, but again, it happens. I went on to ask my former colleague, “How do you handle dealing with something like that?” Then she replied, “Well, I’ve gotten it from both sides.” And I knew exactly what she meant. As we both swapped our stories and experiences, I listened as she offered me some pointers on how to deal, but despite the received and much-appreciated advice, it still doesn’t soften the reality of “getting it from both sides.” If you are a Black professional, not only are you tasked with the pressure of working twice as hard to be and stay on your A-game, but you will inevitably walk into rooms and sit at tables filled with people who don’t know you, who will quickly form impressions about who they think you are and won’t like you the moment they see you. Others will insinuate that you’re unqualified to be where you are, and as far as I’m concerned, people like that aren’t worth wasting your energy on. What’s odd and painful is receiving the same treatment from those who share the same race as you. I’ve found that being the change you wish to see, being cordial to everyone, and keeping things moving works best. The older I get, the more I’m learning to focus on what does and doesn’t matter. There are certain things I just don’t have time for anymore. 


No matter what experiences come your way, I hope you get into the habit of shifting your focus, so you don’t get distracted by people and things that try to strip you of your peace and joy. You’ve got stuff to do, so keep it moving. You’ve got this. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far