Skip to main content

About Ruling With Kindness

In the late ‘90s, a dark teen-comedy named Jawbreaker released. It was a film about three popular teenagers who accidentally murdered their best friend on her birthday. Each year, this group of teen queens played birthday pranks on each other. The idea for their friend, Elizabeth “Liz” Purr’s, (affectionally referred to in the film as the “cat’s meow”) birthday was to kidnap her as a joke, have her consume a ton of carbs for breakfast, and then tie her up to their school’s flagpole in her bra and underwear. The only problem was that the prank went horrifically wrong when one of the cruelest of the three friends, Courtney Shayne, gagged Liz with a Jawbreaker and then with the help of her friends, stuffed Liz in the trunk of her car during the kidnapping. When the girls opened the trunk outside the diner they parked at, they froze as they saw Liz’s cold and deceased body, as well as the jawbreaker, stuck in her throat.

Although these girls were all friends, at the beginning of the film the narrator revealed that while each of the four teen girls were essentially high-school royalty, Courtney was a mean girl who ruled with terror and hated that her best friend, Liz, who was well-liked and known for being sweet, smart, rich, and beautiful, ruled with kindness. So, like most mean girls, Courtney was jealous of her best friend and decided to do something about it. Which led to her friend’s “accidental” death. I say accidental only because while the other two friends involved, Marcie and Julie, were more like followers who seemed innocent and were unaware of Courtney’s plans to gag Liz during the kidnapping, Courtney was heartless. She didn’t seem to get that someone can still be popular and kind at the same time. You don’t have to be mean to rule. That was something that Liz understood. And although her role in the film was short-lived, it was a reminder to me that ruling with kindness is a great way to go.

 

In the past, I’ve been called “too sweet” or “too nice” by different mean women I’ve interacted with and by other women I’ve worked with in superior roles in the workplace, who had reputations for being unlikable, rude, and nasty. Apparently, my kindness was perceived as a weakness. However, I believe kindness is one of the strongest traits any woman can have. And I’d rather be kind than mean. Some of the mean women I’ve worked with felt like in order to be effective and successful leaders, people had to fear them. Many of these women were (and still are) massively insecure, easily intimidated by others, and have been heavily critical of other women they’ve perceived as threats. I’ve watched (and sometimes had to stand up) for myself and others, as these kinds of women who poisoned the workplace, created a toxic work climate. Some of them have been cruel and unapologetic and have done bizarre things like brag about their titles, spouses, education, years of work experience, their awards and credentials, and more. Essentially, a list of things no one else really cares about except for them. And anytime I’ve ever crossed paths with a woman who behaves like any of the women mentioned above? I note what not to do. I also see who I don’t ever want to become. 


You can still rule with kindness and get things done. It takes courage to be and remain kind, especially when others are mean. So much of today's culture spotlights and celebrates different women known for being wildly negative and mean, as if that kind of behavior is a good thing. Being kind is so much better. So, why not rule with kindness? 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far