Skip to main content

The Things I Regret The Most

Regret is an interesting thing. Sometimes it can prompt a wave of emotions you didn’t see coming. I’ve personally weathered a handful of regrets of my own and as I unpacked each one, I learned about the value of time and that while you can’t do anything about the past and what’s already done, you do have the gift of today and deciding how you want to move forward with your life. If you do have any regrets, no matter how big or small, I encourage you to be honest with yourself about them. Press into them. Then reflect, process them, and move on. If you have a hard time doing this, I’ll go first, and then hopefully you can go next and decide how you want to move forward too.  

Not putting myself first sooner. Although I just turned 30 last year, one regret I’ve struggled with at times is not putting myself first sooner. During my early to mid-twenties, I was big on being a people pleaser, even if it meant putting everyone else’s needs and wants above my own. I was also timid, struggled with saying no, and had issues speaking up and being direct about my boundaries. Whenever I tried putting myself first, I listened and caved into guilt messages and rants from different people in my life who gave me attitude and called me selfish if I didn’t willingly give them access to me, my time, or resources. If I’d put myself first sooner, I would have eliminated a ton of unnecessary stress back then.  

 

Praying and waiting for a husband. My biggest regret with this one is the wasted time I can never get back. I was raised Christian and was one of those girls and teenagers who grew up in church, did everything I was supposed to, and stayed out of trouble when it came to guys and dating. I was also very naïve in believing that doing things the Christian way meant I’d have a ring and a husband by now. I dated, waited, and prayed. I made sacrifices most people would never imagine giving up. I cried out to God, worked on myself, read a ton of BS books marketed to single women on the things you’re supposed to do before you say, I do, and I got short-changed. So during my late-twenties, I went through a huge unlearning process about things I learned in church, re-educated myself, and decided to have fun and live my life. At first, I was disappointed, confused, and angry with God about how things turned out, and while it’s possible things could change, I’m not putting my life on hold for anyone. 

 

Attending a Christian university. I’m abundantly grateful for the college degree I worked hard to obtain, but if I could do things over, I would have elected to attend two years of community college first and then transfer to an HBCU. Community college would have cut costs with tuition and eliminated student loan debt. I also believe going the HBCU route would have been more beneficial for me socially and academically, as I would have been surrounded by peers and professors with whom I could fully identify with. I also would have been more prepared and knowledgeable about how to deal with all the hate, hypocrisy, and racism that often greeted me in ways I would have never imagined while attending a Christian school. I choose a Christian university because of my faith and because I thought it’d be a safe and solid choice, but there were a lot of things that went down during my time in undergrad that didn’t sit well with me. 

 

Apologizing when I wasn’t wrong. I have no problem saying sorry and giving an apology when an apology is due, but when I think about times when I apologized just to keep the peace, even when it made me sick inside, I regret it. Because I almost always felt like my feelings were disregarded and I was the one taking the high road again and again. And taking the high road over and over and over again, especially when you’re not the one in the wrong, is exhausting and unfair. I can think back to a handful of moments when I could have just been more upfront and agreed to disagree, refused to issue an apology, and let the chips fall, but instead, I chose to be nice. Sometimes when you do stuff like that, you can easily become a people pleasing doormat and by the time you realize a change needs to happen, it’s already too late. 


Friendships that ended on bad terms. Another regret I've had is friendships that ended on bad terms. It's never been my intention to be mean or hurtful when parting ways with someone, but sometimes things don't end well. Some of my friendships that ended on bad terms weren't the best or healthiest anyway, and while some of my former friends played a role in how things turned out, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I too played a role in how some of those relationships ended. Whether it was my failure to communicate better, a disagreement or misunderstanding that went too far, a lack of boundaries, or anything else that may have contributed to the demise of a former friendship, I can see where I was wrong and could have handled things differently. Maybe better. All friendships don't last forever, and you're likely to have many that will only be seasonal, but regardless, if you sense or know things are ending, my advice is to be an adult about things and remain cordial when parting ways. I've learned so much from every person I've been fortunate to call a friend, and I wish every former friend I've had the best. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far