Skip to main content

A Note I Found In My Old iPhone

This past weekend when I was decluttering some items I no longer needed, I came across a basket of some of my old electronics -- one of which happened to be an old iPhone I had. I turned it on to see what was on it and to my surprise, I found an old note I’d written that contained prayer requests. Some of the requests were mine, and a few others were from different people I’d been lifting up. It was cool and refreshing to come across the note, especially with the year 2020 has been.

At the beginning of the pandemic, I had a tough time. I was coping with tremendous amounts of stress, anxiety, doubt, depression, isolation, and restlessness. There were also a handful of times when I got so angry and disappointed with God that I got rid of different prayer request lists I had on my phone and some that I’d written out in my notebooks. When I was feeling my lowest, I didn’t see the point in praying anymore if things weren’t going to change. Eventually, some things changed, some didn’t, and some things still haven’t, but you know what? God is still good. I’m in a much better and healthier spiritual, mental, and physical space than I was before, and I’ve eased back into my prayer closet with greater intention, consistency, and focus. 


I'm glad I stumbled across a note that reminded me to keep going, keep praying, and to keep pursuing God. I hope that as we all approach the end of this year, you're motivated to do the same no matter what your circumstances, challenges, or obstacles are. And I hope that you will embrace a peace and contentment that carries you through. If you're reading this right now, I'll be lifting you up in prayer too. Keep going and take care. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...