Skip to main content

What Girls Need To Hear Growing Up

Before recently switching back to virtual learning (due to the rise in coronavirus cases in the area), one of the things I used to do before stepping foot into my classroom was pray. I’m still able to pray, work, and teach from home, all of which are blessings I do not take for granted, but as I move through my prayer list, I make sure I don’t forget to pray for all the educators, parents, and of course, students in the world. Especially for all the girls.  

Growing up, I was fortunate to have many female mentors and role models in my life who I could look up to, who often spoke life into me. I also saw examples of what I didn’t want to become too. However, the lives and words from the women who inspired me and gave me the confidence and courage I needed changed my life. Particularly during times when my self-esteem wasn’t the best. I was called smart, pretty, creative, gifted, and moreand I studied and modeled the adults I was around, stayed out of trouble, and benefited from all of them in rewarding ways. And I credit much of who I’ve become and continue to be to the women (and some men) in my life who told me things I needed to hear growing up. 

 

If you have a little girl in your life, whether she’s your daughter, goddaughter, niece, mentee, or someone you babysit, speak words of encouragement over her. Tell her she’s smart. Give her great books to read. Let her listen to uplifting and age-appropriate podcasts. Show her documentaries. And teach her about the importance and necessity of having an education and how far that can and will take her. While it’s okay to tell her how pretty or beautiful or gorgeous you think she is, remind her that looks alone will never be enough. Her looks are just a complement to her brilliant mind. Don’t let her get brainwashed by the media or allow her to be lured by the false trappings our current world sells that conditions many young women to think that being popular, a reality television star, Instagram pretty, or an influencer with a large online following is the epitome of #goals. It’s not. No shade to anyone who’s into those kinds of things, though. 

 

Teach the girls you meet that there’s more to life than pretty pictures, filters, or building an online following. Show them how to behave online and offline by setting a good example with your own online and offline behavior. Let them know the value of hard work and that nothing in this life comes free. Teach and tell them about saving more money vs. spending it. Encourage them to put money in their savings accounts now, so when they’re older, they have money saved and available for when it’s time for them to buy their first car, go to college, and move into their first apartment or home. 

 

Teach the girls you encounter that kind women will always go further than mean ones. Mean girls who become mean women usually don’t go far in life at all. Also let them know that while it’s okay to want to settle down with the man of their dreams, teach them to be whole on their own first. So that if and when someone special does come along, they’ll have their own sense of self, won’t lose sight of who they are, and won’t compromise their values or standards because of a man. Yes, teach them to be open but also teach them to protect their hearts, minds, and bodies. And let them know that their goals and dreams are worth pursuing and accomplishing too. No matter who or what comes along. 


As women, we have a massive responsibility to uplift and encourage the next generation of young women so that when it's time to pass the torch, we'll all be in good hands. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far