Skip to main content

Things That Taught Me When To Keep My Mouth Shut

Last year I had a dream that myself and some former colleagues I worked closely with were going to get let go from our jobs. That dream, along with other signs and warnings of things to come, prompted me to pray and start strategizing about how to move forward. Before accepting a new teaching position (a little over a month ago) and before and during the pandemic, I was already looking for a new job. One of my biggest goals for 2020 was to land a new career opportunity before the year was out – and I did it. If I hadn’t transitioned into a new role by the middle of December, I planned to resign from where I was and to keep looking until I landed something better. 

I told very few people about the dream I had or about what I was planning to do. The only people who knew I was serious about making some changes were my parents and a small number of close and trusted confidants. When I was updating my résumé, completing applications, and going on Zoom interviews, I kept quiet. Once I was officially offered a position, along with an accepted and signed contract, I waited to share my good news after everything was a done deal. As excited as I was about landing a new opportunity, my news did not come without some discouragement, disapproval, and interesting commentary from different people who said the following:

 

But you don’t have any teaching experience. 

Not having teaching experience could be a problem for you. 

You’re not even fully qualified to teach, so what’s your end game?

You should stay where you’re at. I’d be scared to make a career change right now and leave a job with everything that’s going on… 

 

And plenty more. 

 

Although there was chatter, nothing changed my mind. God opened a new door for me and has and will continue to be a door opener, provider, and way maker in my life. Especially in the area of my career. This particular experience reminded me of something my dad has taught and told me since I was a kid. 

 

Don’t reveal your whole hand. 

 

His advice is something I’ve held close that’s often reminded me to know when to keep my mouth shut. I had a plan and strategy in place before 2020 even started. I was already discontented where I was, and the dream I had couldn’t have been any clearer. And if I had listened to people who told me to stay where I was and decided not to make any changes or take some risks? I’d be unemployed and utterly miserable. So if you are someone reading this right now and have been desiring, seeking, and planning on making some moves as this year is ending and a new one is beginning? Don’t reveal your whole hand. Don’t announce, post, or tell everyone what you’re up to. Just move silently and let the rest speak for itself. Only talk and share with people in your life you know will be supportive and want the best for you, even if it’s something they can’t fully understand right now.  

 

I have this same approach with my love life. So quick backstory – in the past, whenever I’ve liked a guy or candidly expressed interest in someone or got involved with them, and things were going good, different girls I either knew well or were friends with would sometimes interfere and actively try to block, sabotage, push up on, or hook up with guys they knew I liked or talked to, and would say things like, “I know you’re feeling him, but do you care if I get at him?” This was something that became far too common, which for a long time, caused me to become resentful. Although, in hindsight, I was partly at fault for confiding in the wrong people, being passive, and never speaking up until later. So while I would love to openly share that part of my life with different people I know, I know it wouldn’t be wise to reveal too much. I prefer to move with discretion because, unfortunately, I've had to learn the hard way that some people won’t always be happy to see you happy. 


You can still be happy, share different things about your life, and the cool things happening in it, but I recommend being selective about what you share and reveal and knowing when to keep your mouth shut. You don't have to reveal your whole hand. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far