Skip to main content

About Being A Giver

I love this time of year.

Although the current pandemic, tense political climate (shout out to Joe Biden and Kamala Harris on their win), and sometimes horrifying state of this world have been disheartening at times, I can’t help but appreciate the crisp fall air, coffee dates, cozying up with a good book next to a warm fire pit, the upcoming holidays, and my mom’s home cooking. I’m also excited about some recent changes that have taken place in my life, as well as some exciting news I’ve recently received – some of which I hope to share in future posts soon 😊. All of these things bring me joy. But one thing I enjoy the most is having the opportunity to give. Giving has been an influential action and priority that my parents raised and inspired me to practice in my own life. And after seeing them both model the way, learning the impact and importance of giving has changed my life in some positive and powerful ways too. It’s truly a blessing having the opportunity to be a giver.  


I know that 2020 has not been the year many of us thought it would be, but even so, we can all find ways to give to others. When given the opportunity to give, serve, or share, whether through a random act of kindness, donating your time or services, or putting what you want on hold to help someone else, you're shifting the focus off of yourself and helping someone else who may need your help or giving the most. You never know what someone else is fully going through, and your act of giving and kindness can be something that completely makes their day. How cool is that? So, in the coming days, weeks, and remaining months of this year, be on the lookout for opportunities to give. Doing so will bless you in some incredible ways. Stay safe, stay grateful, and happy giving. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...