Skip to main content

The Inbox Where Stuff Happens

This generation of men has a different and sometimes unusual approach when it comes to pursuing women. Sliding into a woman’s inbox on social media has become a frequent and familiar way for many seeking relationships to make their move. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don’t. It’s a risk for sure, but is this really an ideal way to get to know someone? How much do we really know about the people we’re connected to and interacting with? If you pay close attention, most people typically reveal who they are. You can tell a lot about someone from the things they willingly put out or choose not to. One evening, I went through some messages I received from different guys who follow me on Facebook. A lot of them were compliments about my looks, inquiries about my relationship status, and I even received this emoji too – 😍.

While it’s flattering to receive kind messages, I typically don’t get carried away with them. Because while some of the guys who have reached out have honestly been attractive, funny, and charming… I’ve come across (and have even been out with some) who were mean, reckless, and disgusting online and off, interacted with messy women, led lifestyles that conflicted with mine, and didn’t have the best intentions. There was one guy who tried to convince me that he was a Christian after learning of my lifestyle as a Christian too. For all I know, he could have really been about that life. Except I wasn’t too convinced after he tried to proposition me. Which was unsettling. Fortunately, I was smart enough not to get caught up. I met another guy who was relieved to see that I looked the same in person as I did in my photos, which I guess isn’t odd considering how many people filter their photos beyond recognition these days. No shade to anyone who uses them, but if you’re using filters, it’s probably not a bad idea to have photos up without them. That way people know what you really look like.


Facebook, or almost any other social media platform, can be a chill place to meet potenital suitors. Prayerfully people you know or know well through mutual friends. But if you're seeking something real, I recommend connecting with God. Granted, He can move through the world of social media and your inbox, but unfortunately, a lot of what's out there isn't always as real as people think. While it's nice to be open, it's naive to assume that everyone you meet is worthy of your time, energy, or attention. You don't want or need anyone or anything in your life that will complicate it. So be wise, remain prayerful, and discerning. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far