Skip to main content

Teacher Table Talk

Statistics say that in the United States, 40 percent of today’s children are born out of wedlock. I learned Black women are at the height of this percentage, outnumbering White women, Hispanic women, and Asian women. 

One day, a group of co-workers and I ended up having a teacher table talk about this topic after one of my colleagues mentioned not wanting her son to have a baby out of wedlock. She shared, “I know it sounds old-fashioned, but he’s just too young to deal with something like that.” Suddenly, a brief silence fell over the room. Then I spoke. “Well, people having babies out of wedlock has become something common, but I don’t think it’s old-fashioned not to if you were raised with a love, marriage, and then baby carriages approach. Ideally, for me, the goal has been for things to happen in that order, but I get that things are different for everyone.” 

 

Another colleague, who shared she was pregnant before she got married, expressed her thoughts as well. She explained her concerns and worries over how she thought she’d be perceived while working as an educator who was pregnant out of wedlock. I also learned stories about different women in previous roles as educators who were passed over for promotions and leadership opportunities when their administrators found out they were in similar situations. Because I’ve had family members, friends, and former colleagues who have been on the receiving end of incidents like this, and justifiably hurt, I can empathize with them. I don’t think it’s right for anyone to be denied of an opportunity just because they’re pregnant and unmarried. However, as an educator, you’re essentially a role model. And as a female one, sometimes the unwritten rules and expectations can get complicated. 

 

Though we all had different opinions, we respectfully heard and listened to one another. Woman to woman. Open, honest, vulnerable, and real. And our talk prompted me to think about my own upbringing. 

 

As a Christian, there have been times when my lifestyle and take on different things have caused rifts, controversy, and unintentional offense. Especially regarding my approach to relationships and starting a family. I’ve been ridiculed, talked about, and even mocked about my views. And it took me a long time to understand that when you’re moving differently from what’s considered normal or common, there will be people who find you offensive and won’t like you or what you’re doing. They might think you’re strange or a prude or a snob, or from my experience, say crazy things to you like, “You’re not better than me,” which is unfortunate to hear, especially when claimed from a malicious place. But you can’t allow what others think to dictate your life. I know who I am and who I am not, and the uniqueness of life is that we all come from different backgrounds, have different beliefs, and don’t have to like or agree with each other about everything. But anyhow. 


Ultimately, I believe it's important to respect others, no matter what your beliefs are. Some women have babies before marriage, some wait until marriage, and some may choose to adopt whether married or not. There are even some women who decide not to have children at all. No matter what you choose, I hope you're able to have healthy, respectful, and open dialouges with people who may have views different from your own. Again, we don't have to agree with each other about everything, but it takes courage to stand firm in your beliefs and respectfully hear others out. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far