Skip to main content

Sound Advice From The Seasoned

There’s always something to be learned when you listen. Whenever I get the chance to be in a room or space with successful adults who know more than I do and can teach me beneficial lessons I can apply to my own life, I take notes. I believe in receiving sound advice from the seasoned. Below, you’ll find some great words and lessons I’ve obtained from different adults and sources who’ve helped me on my journey. I hope you’ll find their advice as helpful as I have. 

 

·      Keep the receipts.

 

·      The better you are at what you do, the more you’ll be called upon. Question what kind of work you’re doing.

 

·      Slow down and learn all you can. You don’t get experience overnight.

 

·      Be patient. There will come a time when something opens up for you.

 

·      Be mindful about keeping people at bay who just want to be in your business. 

 

·      Pay attention and listen.

 

·      You don’t have to over disclose things about yourself.

 

·      Be the best you. What are you doing with what you’ve been given?

 

·      Respect leadership. 

 

·      Respect money, partnerships, and resources.

 

·      Respect the grind. It doesn’t happen overnight. 

 

·      Partner with someone wise.

 

·      Have authentic connections.

 

·      Don’t play house with the guy you’re in a relationship with.

 

·      Don’t go to college to find a husband. Get your degree, have your goals in place, and set yourself up for financial independence. 

 

·      Don’t spend a lot of money on weddings, baby showers, or gifts for those events. 

 

·      Having kids is not easy or a “baby shower.” Kids will change your life. 

 

·      Live in the moment, be present, and put your phone away. 

 

·      Lean on God. 

 

·      Be obedient to God.

 

·      Don’t compare yourself to others. 

 

·      Don’t compromise who you are. 

 

·      Don’t act entitled.

 

·      Stay grounded.

 

·      Everything happens in its season.


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...