Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Taking Risks

I’ll never forget the time I asked my high school crush out on a date. 

I told him I liked him and asked him if he wanted to go to the Friday night basketball game our school was having. Looking back, I’m surprised at how bold I was. He and I were friends, and since it was senior year, I thought, why not take the risk? There I was. Standing. Smiling. And eagerly waiting for a response. He looked at me, smiled, and then he said, “Yeah, *Shaquan (*not her real name) told me you liked me.”

“Cool, so would you wanna go to the game together?” I asked.

“Um, I gotta work on Friday,” he replied. Which was a no. But instead of just saying no, he did what most teenage guys did. Came up with an excuse instead of being upfront. So I didn’t go to the game that night. But I found out he went and was there when one of my friends texted me and told me she saw him. Oh well. I put myself out there and took the risk. And can’t ever say that I didn’t. 

Sometimes you have to take risks to get what you want. These days, I haven’t been spending my time asking dudes out on dates (I much prefer to let guys make the first move), but I’ve been more intentional about taking risks for what I want. I spent a great deal of my twenties playing a lot of things safe. And often, that kind of behavior rarely took me forward. It kept me stuck. And it took a while for me to understand that life outside the comfort zone is worth exploring. Whether it means approaching someone you find attractive, or applying for a new career opportunity, or taking a promotion that will take time to grow into, or sharing a story you’ve been afraid to write, it’s all worth taking risks for. So how might one ease into risk-taking? Keep reading.

Move through the fear. Fear frequently stops people from going after what they want. And I get it. I’ve been there. And no matter what I’m feeling as far as fear is concerned, I’ve decided to move through my fears instead of around them. Taking risks for what you want can be scary, but if you don’t go for what you want, you’ll never have it. Will you be fearful and not get what you want? Or will you feel the fear and go forward anyway? 

Go for it. I’ve gone after a lot of different things I didn’t get. But what’s important is that I at least went for what I wanted, even though I didn’t get some of the things I went for. Sometimes “going for it” will feel uncomfortable, as it should, since you’re likely stepping outside of your comfort zone. But what if you go for what you want, and things work out? You definitely won’t be mad at yourself for that. 

Reflect. I’ve taken notes from approvals and rejections. Both have taught me a lot about myself, as well as what to do and what not to do differently the next time I take risks and go for what I want. You won’t always get what you want, which can be a good thing sometimes, but when you do, you’ll respect yourself for having the guts to take risks and building your risk-taking muscles to soar to new heights. So what are you waiting for? 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far