Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Taking Risks

I’ll never forget the time I asked my high school crush out on a date. 

I told him I liked him and asked him if he wanted to go to the Friday night basketball game our school was having. Looking back, I’m surprised at how bold I was. He and I were friends, and since it was senior year, I thought, why not take the risk? There I was. Standing. Smiling. And eagerly waiting for a response. He looked at me, smiled, and then he said, “Yeah, *Shaquan (*not her real name) told me you liked me.”

“Cool, so would you wanna go to the game together?” I asked.

“Um, I gotta work on Friday,” he replied. Which was a no. But instead of just saying no, he did what most teenage guys did. Came up with an excuse instead of being upfront. So I didn’t go to the game that night. But I found out he went and was there when one of my friends texted me and told me she saw him. Oh well. I put myself out there and took the risk. And can’t ever say that I didn’t. 

Sometimes you have to take risks to get what you want. These days, I haven’t been spending my time asking dudes out on dates (I much prefer to let guys make the first move), but I’ve been more intentional about taking risks for what I want. I spent a great deal of my twenties playing a lot of things safe. And often, that kind of behavior rarely took me forward. It kept me stuck. And it took a while for me to understand that life outside the comfort zone is worth exploring. Whether it means approaching someone you find attractive, or applying for a new career opportunity, or taking a promotion that will take time to grow into, or sharing a story you’ve been afraid to write, it’s all worth taking risks for. So how might one ease into risk-taking? Keep reading.

Move through the fear. Fear frequently stops people from going after what they want. And I get it. I’ve been there. And no matter what I’m feeling as far as fear is concerned, I’ve decided to move through my fears instead of around them. Taking risks for what you want can be scary, but if you don’t go for what you want, you’ll never have it. Will you be fearful and not get what you want? Or will you feel the fear and go forward anyway? 

Go for it. I’ve gone after a lot of different things I didn’t get. But what’s important is that I at least went for what I wanted, even though I didn’t get some of the things I went for. Sometimes “going for it” will feel uncomfortable, as it should, since you’re likely stepping outside of your comfort zone. But what if you go for what you want, and things work out? You definitely won’t be mad at yourself for that. 

Reflect. I’ve taken notes from approvals and rejections. Both have taught me a lot about myself, as well as what to do and what not to do differently the next time I take risks and go for what I want. You won’t always get what you want, which can be a good thing sometimes, but when you do, you’ll respect yourself for having the guts to take risks and building your risk-taking muscles to soar to new heights. So what are you waiting for? 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...