Skip to main content

The Time I Dropped F-Bombs In Front Of Jesus

The day it happened I was an emotional wreck.

 

I was tired, sad, angry, and frustrated. All at the same time. And I let it rip. I cursed out loud, in private (thank goodness), in front of Jesus. I’m not one to use much profanity but with how I was feeling at the time, it felt warranted. This season has been challenging and there have been times when I have honestly hated it. I haven’t enjoyed the negative ways it’s made me feel. I don’t like how it’s disrupted my sleep. And I really don’t like how it’s robbed me of my hope and my peace. Even before the pandemic hit, I’d been praying and asking God to move in different areas of my life where I wanted to see change and progression. And while I won’t deny that there have been some occasional blessings here and there, at the time I was upset, I wasn’t experiencing the kind of breakthroughs I’ve prayed for, worked for, and waited for. 

 

So the day I dropped those f-bombs during my prayer time was no joke. I was deeply disappointed. And exhausted. And very miserable. The funny thing was the next day after my not so proud moment of crying out to Jesus (with questionable language included) I had just received an email that I won a writing contest and a cash prize for a piece I submitted a little over a month before I fell apart. I wrote an original psalm about everything I was feeling and going through. And that moment reminded me that Jesus hears me. As a Christian, I know I don’t have to be fake with Jesus or silent about my pain. Sometimes I think different Christians struggle with this. They don’t always allow themselves to be raw and honest about how they’re feeling and as a result, they pretend to be okay instead of admitting when they’re not. It’s okay to not be okay. I believe in being honest with yourself and with Jesus. If there’s anyone you can be completely honest with, it’s Him. I was drained the day I let it all out but felt relieved after my moment because I was able to communicate what I was feeling and why I felt the way I did. I know Jesus understands. And while I’m still praying, working, and waiting for breakthroughs in this season, I’m also hitting the refresh button on my faith and looking forward to some positive changes ahead. 

 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...