Skip to main content

How Do You Want To Spend Your 30s?

This season has given me a nice amount of time to reflect and think about myself and different areas of my life. More specifically, the areas where I’ve been unhappy and heavily discontented. Some things could be better, and I’ve actively been working to improve them. 

 

I know 2020 has not been the year many of us thought it would be. I mean, really, who could have anticipated a disruption like a global pandemic? While it’s certainly been quite a year and a lot of changes have taken place, this was also the year I turned 30. While I was able to celebrate with my family, I had some additional exciting birthday plans fall through, as well as some other things that were delayed and denied because of everything that’s happened. And with these things happening and more, I’ve realized that there will never be a perfect time or ideal conditions to change certain parts of your life you desire change or to make decisions about the direction you want your life to go. I am up to me. And my life is up to me too. 

 

One of the biggest things for me will be eliminating as much stress from my life as I can. And that will involve taking some big risks and incredible leaps of faith that I believe will be good for me. I’m honestly not certain how everything’s going to turn out or work out, but I know this: I deserve better. I deserve to be happy. And I deserve the best. I will not spend my 30s the same way I spent my 20s. I refuse to remain in any situation that brings unnecessary stress in my life or to stay connected to anyone or anything that brings problems into my space, disrupts my peace, and is not adding value or yielding fruit in my life. When I think about different situations I’ve stayed in and hoped and prayed would get better, they only got worse. And I don’t want to live my life like that. I believe I can do better. And so can you. 

 

So let me ask you this, how do you want to spend your 30s? Set aside some time alone and figure it out. You may be surprised what you discover. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...