Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Avoiding Mama’s Boys

I’m not a fan of mama’s boys. I find them mildly disturbing.

 

To me, a guy being a mama’s boy is one of the most unattractive and annoying traits a guy can have. I’ve talked to different guys who have bragged ad nauseam about being mama’s boys, and while some women may be into it, I know many (myself included) who are not. While every situation is different, this kind of situation can be problematic, stressful, and in some cases, a complete nightmare. And while it may be presumptuous to assume that all mama’s boys are not the best guys to date or build a life with, many of them should be approached with caution Here’s why. 

 

It’s not always a sign he’ll treat you right. A big misconception with mama’s boys is that if they’re good to their moms, they’ll be good to you too. This isn’t always true. I’ve seen these types of guys treat their moms like queens and then treat their girlfriends or wives like crap. I’ve also heard horror stories from different women, especially married ones, who were brutally honest about being with a guy whose mom continually caused problems, disrupted their relationship, and brought a lot of drama and stress because she was overly involved in her son’s love life or didn’t like who he was with. As a result, some of these guys sided with their moms as conflicts came and turned their backs on the women they were involved with. These types of men may also have an unrealistic expectation for a woman to be a replica of their mother too. Which is odd. I believe that one of the qualities of a real man is one who has his woman’s back and accepts her for who she is. I’m not saying a guy should dismiss or disrespect his mom, as that is never okay, but if a guy treats and showers his mom with love, help, respect, and support, he should do the same for you too. If he’s not and he won’t? Walk away. Or better yet, run. 

 

And second place goes to… Drum roll, please. The award for who will be second place in a guy’s life if he’s a mama’s boy goes to you. I can’t imagine too many women who are into playing second fiddle. So to all you mama’s boys out there, tighten up. I get that relationships between moms and sons are important. However, if you get involved with someone and things get serious? The other person shouldn’t be put second because of your mom. That’s not fair. Granted, every situation is different. But still. Any guy who has done this and has had a woman walk away from him and doesn’t know why? Bet money, your mom had something to do with it. “I would absolutely love to be second place in your life,” said no woman ever. 

 

A lack of healthy boundaries. Guys who don’t have healthy boundaries are walking red flags. Mama’s boys often tend to tell their moms too much information or check in with their moms before making certain decisions they can make on their own. And many of them have a habit of allowing their mom to overstep. This is not okay or normal behavior. I’m not insisting a guy can’t talk to his mom about certain things, but fellas, does your mom need to know everything? I don’t think so. Have healthy boundaries. If you’re a woman who’s dating or engaged or married to a mama’s boy and you’re not having any issues? God bless you. But if you’re a woman having problems with this dynamic? I’ll be lifting you up in prayer. God knows it’s probably needed.  

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...