Skip to main content

The Great Grace Greenleaf

The moment I came across the hit OWN series, Greenleaf? 

 

I was hooked.

 

I’ve been in church my whole life and have seen the ins and outs of what a life of ministry can be like, so although Greenleaf is fictional, some of the things that have happened throughout the series are relatable and too real. I mean, come on, a megachurch filled with drama, secrets, scandals, and a savage First Lady (yes, I see you Lady Mae). What’s not to like? The Greenleaf family is intriguing, interesting, and complicated. When the series started, it’s learned that Bishop Greenleaf and Lady Mae have four children: Faith (deceased), Grace, Charity, and Jacob.

 

Although each Greenleaf has an interesting backstory, the one Greenleaf I identify with the most is Grace. I really dig Grace. Not only is her character an anointed and powerful woman of God, but she’s also kind, courageous, and controversial. While anointed and called, she’s also participated in some risky business, had some messy moments, and confronted and owned her mistakes. Yet she remains a major advocate for trying to do the right thing, rescuing others, and fights and speaks for those who cannot speak for themselves. She’s a powerhouse. And you don’t see too many women like Grace in the Christian community. I think there may be sprinkles of women like Grace Greenleaf out there, but they’re often silenced and shunned by those in the church who are bound by religion, rigidity, and fear. 


Grace is about as unconventional as it gets. She's bold, brave, and smart. And she's a great example of a believer who doesn't have it all together. She's saved but human. And I think that's impressive to see in a well-written character at the center of a drama series focusing on believers in powerful positions. Especially with all the pretend-to-be-perfect saints out there. If you've never seen Greenleaf, check it out sometime. It's a great show. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...