Skip to main content

My Walk As A Liberal Christian


I’ve never been a fan of anyone trying to tell me how to live my life or trying to manipulate me into being someone or something I’m not. As I reflect on my walk as a Christian, I’ve grown weary from battling rigidity and living my life up under the attempted control and expectations of others. It’s often felt lonely and suffocating. In recent years, it’s been upsetting seeing so many Christians full of hate, while attacking and criticizing others outside the church and sometimes within it and justifying their hateful actions “in the name of Jesus.” 

 

I just can’t get with that. I know it’s not okay to treat people that way. Their cruelty has taught me how to be kind. And it’s also prompted me to look at myself and be intentional about the kind of Christian I want to be moving forward. 

 

I’ve wrestled with my walk with Christ. Especially with the current events that have taken place in the world and seeing how different Christian groups have responded or chosen to be hypocritical, cold, detached, and remain blind and silent. I still believe in Christ and know I can’t make it through life without Him but having liberal views and being a Christian makes for a different walk for sure. Those who understand what this is like are the ones who share similar walks too. And like me, have taken some heat and criticism from others who call themselves Christians as well. While none of us are perfect or bound by labels, I believe it’s possible to be a Christian and have different views. Some may argue that it’s not. That it’s fleshly. Double-minded. That you’re not a real Christian. Or that you’re on your way to hell. But I disagree. God has the final say, right? 

 

I personally have nothing against those with different views. Particularly when it comes to Christians who have conservative beliefs. But what I’m not okay with is the hatred, disrespect, and attempts to silence the voice of those who are often excluded, marginalized, and told they don’t matter. I’ve met Christians who don’t care for me or what I represent or what I have to say regarding the well-being, support, and decision to stand in solidarity for those who are often shunned and told that there is no room for equality or human rights. They’ve made it clear that we are not welcome to their churches, organizations, community events, and more. But is excluding and discriminating against others a Christian thing to do? 

 

I don’t believe so. 

 

In the early days of my walk, I was one of the greenest and most obnoxious Christians you would have ever met. I mean a straight-up religious freak. I’d openly quote scriptures and pass them out on notecards to some of my peers. I’d remind others about the importance of paying their tithes and was more than happy to collect their tithes for them and make sure the collections went directly to the church. I was judgmental and dismissive of others who had views different from my own. And I had an ignorant and immature approach to interacting with others who I couldn’t relate to. I thought so many different things in life were black and white, not knowing that as you mature, there are many gray areas too. And I’d often annoyingly share my faith and views with those who weren’t interested. And I signed up for almost every role in church imaginable: the usher board, youth choir, youth bible study, youth conference volunteering, the church band, the prayer team, and community outreach. Now? I’ve lightened up a lot. I’m continually learning to try and understand others I may not relate to personally, and peacefully and respectfully share spaces with those who have different beliefs than the ones I hold. And I’ve learned to be okay with being myself. Even if I’m not liked, welcomed, or received by others. This walk is different for everyone but no matter what, I hope you’ll discover what’s true for you. And that you will move forward with love, choose to treat people right, and partner with God along the way. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far