Skip to main content

Show Your Man Your Real Hair

I met a guy who asked me about my hair.

He asked about my ethnicity too. Before we talked, he was going through some of my photos and thought I was biracial because of my Brazilian body wave hair. (Hair that I paid for and had professionally put into my own.) 

I told him the truth.

“I’m black, like, fully black. And that’s not all my hair. I’m glad we talked about this early.” And he didn’t freak out or ask a ton of odd questions or express disinterest. Which was a relief, since he was black too. There are a lot of black men who either don’t like or make jokes about black women who experiment with extensions, weaves, wigs, or more, so his question opened the door for us both to have an open dialogue about my hair. 

When hair salons were ordered to close due to COVID-19? 

My social media feed lit up, and a lot of people were flipping out. 

Especially a lot of black women. I was able to see my stylist and have my sew-in taken out about two days before the closings started. I was relieved because 1) I don’t know how to properly remove a sew-in and 2) I was able to allow my natural hair to breathe and take a break from my protective style. I’ve been natural for almost six years now. I had to quit getting relaxers when my hair started falling out from the chemicals and over processing. I also learned there were studies linking hair relaxers to different kinds of cancers, heart disease, and reproductive issues. So going natural was needed. My natural hair journey has been a roller coaster ride, and I honestly don’t know how I would have come this far without seeing professional stylists who specialize in natural hair and protective styles. Now the salons are closed. And a lot of women of color, especially those with natural hair, are collectively dealing with the same situation.

Our natural hair. 

Managing it can feel like a full-time job if you’re used to seeing a stylist regularly. 

Some of us also have our men looking at us too. Some who may not be used to seeing us without our extensions, weaves, wigs, and other protective styles. And that can get uncomfortable. But you know what? This is a good thing. Because for the first time in a long time, you can show your man your real hair. Natural and all. Whether it’s curly, coiled, wavy, or wild, it’s yours. And I believe you should show your man your real hair and own it. When I meet a new guy, whether he’s black or of another race, I let him see what I look like when I wear my natural hair with protective styles, and when I don’t. I want him to know what I really look like, so he knows the truth. I even have pictures on my social media of my natural hair when I’m wearing extensions, when I’m not, when my hair is straight, twisted out, braided up, put up in a puff, and more. 

The salons will open again, and you should totally support your local stylists when they do, but for now, safety is key. Your crown is a privilege. Wear it with pride. Show your man and everyone else your real hair and work it. You got this. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far