Skip to main content

Leave Him On Read


It’s interesting how an unexpected pandemic can bring things into perspective.

Even weirder, is hearing from people you barely know, don’t talk to anymore, or haven’t talked to in a long time during this bizarre and uncertain season we’re all in. Some are using this time to reconnect with familiar faces, reach out to their exes, and maybe some former flings. Others are partaking in some solo time, digital dating, or occasional flirting. And a handful are nesting with whoever they’ve been in a relationship with this whole time. 

There are also some guys out there who need to be left on read. For those of you who are not familiar with this, it’s essentially a form of ignoring someone.

It’s a little savage, but very necessary sometimes. 

Here’s the thing. If we didn’t work well together the first time (in some cases a second time… maybe even a third đŸ˜‘) and decided to part ways, why would a pandemic prompt you to suddenly want to reach out? Especially if we haven’t seen, talked, or kept in touch with each other in months? Maybe even years. I get that life gets busy, but if you like someone and claim to care about them and want to be with them, then keeping in touch should have been a priority before the pandemic hit. Not during. And definitely not after either. When I had low self-esteem and didn’t think I deserved better, I’d get so excited whenever I’d hear from a guy I met and liked. Even if he was inconsistent and only hit me up whenever he wanted. And that was disappointing and emotionally draining. But me being me, and giving second chances, would still respond when I was contacted because I didn’t want to seem rude or mean. Now?

I don’t do that anymore. 

I have to think about what’s best for me. And so do you. I believe in letting people move on. Sometimes what’s best for you is moving on and maintaining your distance from anyone you already know isn’t good for you or God’s best for you. This doesn’t mean they’re a bad person or that you should feel bad or guilty for moving on, protecting your heart, your space, your peace, and most importantly, the one thing you can never get back – your time. You may also want to consider revisiting your boundaries and think about using those unfollow and block features on social media and your phone settings if and as needed. 

Don’t allow your loneliness to lead you into making decisions you might regret. This pandemic is seasonal and will pass. 

Stay away from guys you know are toxic. Also, please don't be that girl who creeps on some dude's social media. Don't clock his moves or creep on his new girlfriend, fiancee, or wife's page either. I can promise you that doing those things won't make you feel better. Just move on. Don't post long and emotionally driven paragraphs or cryptic posts about a guy you're no longer involved with to prove a point. It's not worth it. Move all the way on. Even if he's childish and tries to provoke you. I've personally learned not to respond to everything. You have to get to the point where you know who and what to ignore. Refuse to allow petty people and the things they post, say, or do get to you. You're better than that. Take the high road, stay safe, and keep it moving. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...