Skip to main content

I Destroyed All My Journals

Not everything needs to be remembered or kept in our archive of keepsakes. Honestly, there are some memories I would prefer to forget.

For several years, I’ve kept journals. Some that even dated back to when I was seventeen and weathering the ups and downs that come with being a young woman and an emotionally immature teenager who got upset about things like my crushes showing zero interest in me, a bad grade on a test, not fitting in with different peers I wanted acceptance from, highs and lows with friends, working my first few jobs, and my parents making me pay my own cell phone bill -- mind you, this was before smartphones and pricey data plans were a “thing.” I had a Motorola Razr flip phone that probably cost no more than $30 a month to pay. I also had a part-time job making good money, so there’s that. No wonder older generations think some of us millennials are entitled. Moving on…

As a writer, journaling was once a big thing for me. It was a commitment that allowed me the privacy and space to share my most intimate, private, and personal thoughts with no fear, worry, or consequences, however, this past holiday break, I felt it was time to part ways with journaling, including the stack of journals I kept for years. Here’s why.  

Holding on to detailed accounts of my unfiltered feelings, fears, insecurities, worries, challenges, explorations, and thoughts about everything else felt like a weight. Periodically, I’d go back and read about different things I was thinking and going through, and then I’d reflect on how much some things have changed and/or remained the same. I didn’t see the need to keep or continue revisiting stories from my past. The past happened, it’s done, and I’m fine with putting it behind me. Now that I’m older, I want to look forward and move on. I don’t care to revisit or hold on to a stored collection of old wounds, traumas, heartbreaks, mistakes, setbacks, or anything else that I put into writing that I didn’t feel comfortable speaking openly about. Also, I’d never want anyone else to see or have access to my former journaled thoughts. I don’t mind being transparent as a writer, as I believe transparency is important, however, in this day and time where a lot of people are open books, I’m just not there. There are parts of each and every one of our lives that should not be available for public consumption. I applaud those who are bold and brave enough to be super open though. However, everyone doesn’t need to know everything about you. 

I felt relieved parting ways with my journals before this year came in. I watched as each page ceased to exist and I didn't look back. My journals served their purpose, helped me heal and allowed me to be who I am without judgment or shame.

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far