Skip to main content

I Destroyed All My Journals

Not everything needs to be remembered or kept in our archive of keepsakes. Honestly, there are some memories I would prefer to forget.

For several years, I’ve kept journals. Some that even dated back to when I was seventeen and weathering the ups and downs that come with being a young woman and an emotionally immature teenager who got upset about things like my crushes showing zero interest in me, a bad grade on a test, not fitting in with different peers I wanted acceptance from, highs and lows with friends, working my first few jobs, and my parents making me pay my own cell phone bill -- mind you, this was before smartphones and pricey data plans were a “thing.” I had a Motorola Razr flip phone that probably cost no more than $30 a month to pay. I also had a part-time job making good money, so there’s that. No wonder older generations think some of us millennials are entitled. Moving on…

As a writer, journaling was once a big thing for me. It was a commitment that allowed me the privacy and space to share my most intimate, private, and personal thoughts with no fear, worry, or consequences, however, this past holiday break, I felt it was time to part ways with journaling, including the stack of journals I kept for years. Here’s why.  

Holding on to detailed accounts of my unfiltered feelings, fears, insecurities, worries, challenges, explorations, and thoughts about everything else felt like a weight. Periodically, I’d go back and read about different things I was thinking and going through, and then I’d reflect on how much some things have changed and/or remained the same. I didn’t see the need to keep or continue revisiting stories from my past. The past happened, it’s done, and I’m fine with putting it behind me. Now that I’m older, I want to look forward and move on. I don’t care to revisit or hold on to a stored collection of old wounds, traumas, heartbreaks, mistakes, setbacks, or anything else that I put into writing that I didn’t feel comfortable speaking openly about. Also, I’d never want anyone else to see or have access to my former journaled thoughts. I don’t mind being transparent as a writer, as I believe transparency is important, however, in this day and time where a lot of people are open books, I’m just not there. There are parts of each and every one of our lives that should not be available for public consumption. I applaud those who are bold and brave enough to be super open though. However, everyone doesn’t need to know everything about you. 

I felt relieved parting ways with my journals before this year came in. I watched as each page ceased to exist and I didn't look back. My journals served their purpose, helped me heal and allowed me to be who I am without judgment or shame.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...