Skip to main content

Dear Divided Black Women, What’s Your Problem?

I don’t have a lot of black girlfriends. I never have. And it’s not because I haven’t wanted them. I have. I’ve tried, hit and miss, and facilitated some casual connections, but not without weathering some complications and misunderstandings. If you follow my work, you may have read a piece I wrote for Thought Catalog, titled, I Need More Black Friends, which highlights some of my plights, but something that’s recently been weighing on me is the disconnect amongst different groups of black women. I’ve repeatedly run into other black women, in the workplace, in public settings, and even at family events, who’ve often thrown some direct and indirect shade my way, and in the direction of other women, they don’t know much about, greeting them with nasty attitudes, exclusion, aggression, jealousy, and hatred. I’ve personally had other black women, who barely know me, make snap judgments about who they think I am as opposed to who I really am. The division amongst some in my own community, and often feeling and being treated as an outsider is painful, but surprisingly not shocking. The eye-rolls, the “Ugh, she’s so bougie” and “She thinks she’s better than everyone…” comments and jokes have become far too familiar and unnecessary and when I do run into black women like this, I wonder, “Sis, what’s your problem?” Seriously. I don’t know you. You don’t know me. And I’ve done nothing to you. Also, I don’t want your man (for those who assume other women do – seriously this has become a thing…) or anything else you’ve got. Not your job, title, kids, material things, or your life. I know who I am and understand that God gave me a life of my own that suffices just fine. 

The divided black women barrier has been something I have not yet broken through completely, but I’m working on it. 

When I encounter black women, who express different levels of hostility towards myself or other black women they’ve concluded they don’t particularly like or know very well, I know it’d be presumptuous to assume: Maybe she’s just an insecure person or a hater. Realistically, maybe black women who carry themselves this way are going through things that have nothing to do with me or the women they don’t like. What I really want to know is… Is something bothering you? Are you struggling with something you can’t put into words and taking it out on me and others? Why? Is it a loss? Heartbreak? Disappointment? Depression? Weariness? Issues with colorism? Issues with your love life or lack thereof? Do you think another woman’s success threatens you and yours? Are you frustrated? Struggling with some insecurities about who you are or the way you look? What is it? I wish more black women were willing to communicate and have these kinds of conversations. Especially the younger generations. 

I‘m fully aware that there are a lot of different women, especially black women, who carry themselves as strong on the outside, but are inwardly feeling intimidated by other women, insecure, oppressed, lonely, heartbroken, depressed, bitter, dismissed, silenced, and ostracized and carrying invisible and visible scars from those things on a regular basis and taking their pain out on other black women, however, being hurt doesn’t give you license to be rude, nasty, or mean. Especially to your fellow sisters of color or any other women for that matter. Granted, you may have valid reasons for feeling what you feel, but it’s important that you don’t stay in a space of rudeness, nastiness, or meanness that could turn you into a hateful or bitter woman. If you’re going through a challenging time, why not lean on or seek the counsel of another seasoned black woman (yes, even one you may assume is bougie) who might actually be one of the kindest women you’ll meet, who is stronger in areas you can improve in? If you don’t like something about your physical appearance, like maybe your weight, why not get in the gym with other women who go on a consistent basis? If it’s your hair, link up with women who have great stylists they could put you on to. If you’re insecure about your lack of education, talk to successful women who’ve educated themselves beyond what you know or have seen.  If you’re struggling with your job or trying to switch up or move forward in your career, wouldn’t it make sense to seek mentorship from another woman who’s already been there? If you’re single and want to settle down someday, why not seek out wisdom from women (preferably those who have 5-10 years of marriage experience) who will keep it 100 with you about what to anticipate and expect in a marriage? Have you considered linking up with confident women who are happily single and decided marriage and having 2.5 kids wasn’t what they wanted or needed, and instead, built lives they love that include an exciting career, chasing their dreams, furnishing homes they own and having experiences that a marriage would hinder them from?

Do better and be better, sis. I want us all to get where we want to go. Let's support each other and uplift and encourage other communities of different women, from all different races and backgrounds, to do better and be better too. Let's do this privately and publicly and mean it. Let's resist the urge to be petty, negative, mean-spirited, or dismissive about another woman's success. Let's be a trustworthy confidant who can keep another woman's struggles to ourselves when she's trusted us enough to confide in us, instead of being women who gossip about her and betray her trust by sipping and sharing the "tea" about her recent break up, job loss, or painful private and public humiliations and disappointments. I believe we can get to better. We've got this. 


Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far