Skip to main content

Blessed

Full transparency: I was miserable and very unhappy when this year began. 

I was disappointed with a handful of things. Not being where I wanted to be personally, professionally, and creatively. Not seeing growth or reaping the fruits and benefits in areas where I’ve worked hard, was patient, faithful, and committed, for years, while watching other people move forward in some of the same areas I’ve anticipated moving forward in as well. There was even a point when I spiritually shut down and didn’t care how anything turned out anymore because I got tired of working, waiting, and praying for progression and not seeing it. I was doing everything I could to get where I wanted to go and seemingly getting nowhere. I’m a tenacious person, so I typically don’t give up easily, but during different times this year, I wrestled with discouragement and frustration when things weren’t working out, while at the same time, battling silent storms that came in the form of petty workplace challenges, private and public insecurities and failures, challenges with different family members and friends, and more, however, as I write this and reflect on the year in its entirety, I can still say that I’m blessed.

About four months into the year, some shifts started to take place that would later show me that God was still at work in my life even in the midst of moments that felt discouraging and disappointing. I was also reminded that even though I had challenges, there were always others who were going through much worse compared to what I was dealing with. This year had its rough moments, but it’s had its rewarding moments too. Romans 8:28 reads, “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” I transitioned into a different role at work, went after new writing opportunities, contributed to platforms I follow and enjoy, networked and positioned myself to meet new people, professional acquaintances, and mentors through different networking opportunities, and continued to invest in myself in new and exciting ways.

I noticed good change, growth, and progression. If you're reading this right now, I hope you're aware of how blessed you are too. Even in those moments when things feel frustrating. Even when you don't get what you want or were hoping for. Even when you've been overlooked, felt forgotten, delayed, or denied. You are still blessed in other areas of your life. Pay close attention and be mindful not to overlook those areas. I hope that as 2020 approaches, it will be a year of breakthrough for you and that you will continue to press forward and be clear, focused, and persistent about what you want to do, where you want to go, and who you want to be. You've got this. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...