Skip to main content

A Reminder To Relax And Enjoy It

Put on a fresh pot of coffee and dress it up however you want to.

Or have some eggnog or tea or hot chocolate with a ton of marshmallows on top. And enjoy it. 

Go out (or stay in…) for an amazing breakfast filled with whatever you want to eat. I recommend mimosas, waffles, bacon, eggs, hash browns, pancakes, flaky and buttery croissants, or anything else that sounds good. I also recommend savoring every bite. And enjoying it.

After you eat, put on the most comfy robe or pair of sweats you own, get back in bed, cuddle with your significant other, or your fur baby if you have one, and stream that movie or show you’ve had sitting on your Hulu or Netflix account for months and never had the chance to watch because you’ve been working hard all year. And enjoy it. 

After you’ve binged on Hulu or Netflix, fall asleep. Take a nap. And wake up whenever you want. And enjoy it.

Then go through any books or magazines or articles you’ve saved and have wanted to read but just haven’t had the time to check out. And enjoy all of them. 

Then remember how blessed you are, and all that you’ve moved through this year, and how unbelievably awesome you are too, and just sit with those thoughts. And do your best to enjoy this time and chill.

You’ve earned this. Enjoy it. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...