Skip to main content

Strength

Staying strong in unpleasant situations isn’t easy, but a lot of us find ways to push through.

The word of the day is strength. 

There have been different areas of my life where I’ve personally felt stuck in different holding patterns that I’ve done just about everything to break out of. 

And holding patterns aren’t easy to break.  

When I want change, I pursue it with everything I’ve got. The tricky thing with holding patterns though is that they can take a lot of time, patience, persistence, focus, and tenacity to break. And while pursuing change, there can also be incredible amounts of rejection, discouragement, weariness, and disappointment with not seeing progression where you desire it. Weeks ago, I received an unexpected email from a woman I met at an event I attended a month ago, and when we connected, she sent me the picture used in this blog. The picture and the quote attached to it were timely and a reminder to me to stay strong and carry on. There are going to be moments and seasons in life where you might find yourself in different holding patterns that feel so discouraging and frustrating, and while you work to do everything you can to pursue and embrace change where you want it, it may take a while before you get there, but don’t stop trying to get where you’re trying to go. No matter what. I hope you will find strength and stay in forward motion. I hope everything falls in place for you too. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...