Skip to main content

Givers, Takers, And Users

Can you work my shift?
Can I have a moment of your time? (This won’t seem like a big deal at first… but the time adds up and can interrupt your day, workflow, opportunities, and time spent working on your goals.) 
Can you babysit for me?
Can I borrow your car?
Can I get a ride?
Can I borrow some money?
Do you have tickets to that concert, show, or game? 
Can you, will you, why won’t you?

And the requests could go on and on. 

This world is filled with givers, takers, and users. 

I’m amazed at the different requests that have come my way, sometimes, regularly. And I’m especially baffled when these kinds of requests come from anyone I either don’t know well or those I have known or have a history with who would not and sometimes outright refused to help me whenever I needed help or was struggling. Sometimes people who perceive that you are well off in life don’t get that you may have had (or currently have) struggles or lack in different areas of your own life. That said, sometimes, there won’t be people who will help when you ask, offer to help, or will insult you and talk down to you when you ask for help, even though they’re in positions to help. This can be painful, but I can testify to the fact that you will make it through, and you will learn who you can and can’t trust and lean on in those moments. I know what it’s like to struggle and I know what it’s like to be blessed. If you’ve been able to experience both sides, you learn to be a grateful and graceful person, but you also learn not to let people take advantage of you. 

I’ve had to learn the hard way that if you keep saying yes to the requests I’ve listed above or any other ones, people will keep taking from you – if you allow them to. Family. Friends. Significant others. Coworkers. Acquaintances. And anyone else who only reaches out or contacts you when they want or need something from you. And today, I encourage you to stop letting people take advantage of you. If you are a giver, I know this will be hard at first. Been there. Done that. But as long as you’re living, there will always be people hitting you up and asking you for favors and requests they have no business asking you for. And while it’s okay to be generous and giving, you need to be careful about who you’re giving to, what you’re giving, and why. 

This year, I’ve been better with pulling back and having balance. And if you are reading this and still having issues with any takers or users in your own life? Know that it’s okay to say no and that it’s not selfish to say no. Also, make sure you don’t turn into a taker or user yourself. Don’t hit up your family, friends, people you barely know on social media, or anyone you haven’t kept in touch with for weeks, months, or years asking for favors or trying to get put on when you just want or need something. That’s not okay. If you’re in trouble and need help or are having serious issues with something, by all means, reach out to those you’re close with, but don’t take advantage of them. 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...