Skip to main content

I Want To Be Your Woman, Not Your Therapist

As a woman, I don’t believe you should try to take on the role of being your guy’s savior. 

I know this may be tough to address. Especially if you’re a woman currently involved or has been previously involved with a needy or emotionally draining guy, but I’m navigating this topic because upon close examination and because different women have expressed to me that they’re “tired of needy guys…” I knew this was important to write about.  

I’ve had friends, family, and acquaintances express frustrations, fears, and disappointments about being with guys they’ve described as needy. This is not a good thing. While I believe it’s okay to have realistic needs that can be met and to vocalize those needs, I believe it’s unhealthy and unrealistic for a guy to expect his woman to take on the role of being a therapist-like girlfriend/partner/fiancée/wife (depending on which category you fall under) and being the go-to for all of his emotional well-being and needs. 

No one, except for God, a licensed professional, or spiritual counselor, is likely able to fully help with those needs. 

I’m a great listener so I’ve had guys come to me with all kinds of stuff they’ve dealt with, been up against, discouraged about, and more, however, I already have women who come to me with these things on a regular basis, so, while I enjoy helping others navigate through certain challenges, I don’t necessarily want to take on a counseling role with someone I’m in a relationship with. Basically: I want to be your woman, not your therapist. I will be there for you when things get rough, pray for you, encourage you, and motivate you to strategize and seek professional help if you need it, but I understand my boundaries and limitations and what I won’t do is take on something I’m not equipped to handle.

I would never call (or recommend calling) a guy needy to his face, but this year, I was upfront with a guy I was talking to about how I didn’t want to be with someone needy. I’d recently finished breaking away from different people in my life who were overwhelming me with a lot of their emotional needs and issues that I no longer felt I was equipped to handle, and I wasn’t interested in dating anyone who would do the same. Although the guy I was talking to was nice and had good intentions, looking back, I knew we weren’t right for each other. My delivery about neediness might have offended him, as he grew silent when we talked about it, but I just wanted to be honest. I believe honesty and transparency are important and being a direct woman vs. one that stays silent and doesn’t speak up can be problematic later. 

Only you can decide what you’re able to handle or not, but I advise taking the time to figure out what you can take on and who or what you need to let go of. Remember, you can be there for your guy without losing yourself. And it’s okay to be there for someone, but you can’t help everyone or try to be someone’s therapist either. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far