Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Navigating Cuffing Season

It’s that time of year.

Cuffing season. 

The time of year when those who’ve been single, maybe for longer than they imagined or anticipated, find themselves lucky or in some cases, unlucky in like or love, exploring the world of hookups and situationships, in an effort to be “cuffed” and have someone in their lives during the cool and crisp breezy fall through holiday season.

This often picks up as the first fall leaves come down in October and those “I miss you” texts start coming in from someone you were once involved with. Then suddenly, things come to an abrupt end as the warmer months approach. I’m writing this for my bachelorette readers as a caution and warning: be careful while navigating cuffing season.

You might find yourself single during this time of year, that is famous for reminding bachelorettes just how single they are, but this doesn’t mean you should be reckless and seeking to get cuffed with someone for the sake of being cuffed, nor should you consider giving a guy things didn’t work out with the first time, or several times before, another chance just because you got an “I miss you” text. Also, be very careful about the guys sliding into your DMs too. (This is internet talk for receiving private messages, via social media, from someone who might be interested in you – for those of you not familiar with the world of DM sliding 😊.)  

Partaking in cuffing season may be tempting, but it might not be what’s best. 

Especially if you cross paths or connect with someone real attractive, cool, funny, smart, or charming, however, it’s best to be sure you’re making smart choices. I think it’s perfectly fine to date, but don’t play yourself or let cuffing season fool you. When the weather gets back warm again, most guys participating in cuffing season usually cut ties right after. And I don’t want any bachelorettes getting hurt or played. 

Take good care of yourself, and have fun, but navigate this season wisely.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...