Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Maximizing Your Freedom

Sometimes I feel sorry for non-single people.

Which may be odd, considering many couples (especially married ones) often seem to feel sorry for singles. 

Being single comes with a lot of freedom that serious couples and married people don’t have, which I’ve noticed not a lot of single people I’ve met and known are often aware of or taking full advantage of. I’ve also noticed that I have yet to meet too many single young women who are happily single and moving through life without being obsessed or worried about settling down, meanwhile, I see the opportunities in this space.

If you’re single you can pretty much do what you want with your time, money and resources, work on yourself, and figure out what you want the rest of your life to look like: with or without a significant other in the picture. Everything may not turn out exactly as planned, but you’re still the CEO of your life. 

Should you ever begin feeling unsettled while single, or anxious, worried, or insecure about your singleness, I highly recommend connecting with some seasoned married folks (preferably couples at least 10 years into the marriage game), people who are separated or divorced, single parents, and maybe even some newlyweds who are honest, brave, and bold enough to spill the unfiltered truth about what settling down or having kids is like. They can provide a lot of insight and reality checks about the soul-crushing moments that can come with being a spouse or a parent.

After listening to people who will tell you the truth, I promise you will have a new appreciation for where you’re at right now.

In 1 Corinthians 7:7 Paul writes, “I wish everyone could get along without marrying, just as I do. But we are not all the same. God gives some the gift of marriage, and to others he gives the gift of singleness. 

This is a time to maximize your freedom. So get moving…

Budget. If you’re single and making money, budget your income as best as you can and feel free to connect with a financial advisor if needed. If you’re spending money and treating yourself every once in a while, cool, but don’t overspend, underfund your savings, and neglect taking care of what’s important. Your income still needs to be handled properly, so when it’s time for you to put the down payment on a home you’d like to purchase or a vehicle that needs repairs, or an emergency that comes up, or anything else unexpected, you’ll have money handy to comfortably take on what comes your way. 

Get Out Of The House. Almost every weekend I’m out doing something fun. I know people in relationships who rarely have that option. Especially if they’re married and/or have kids. So if you’re single, I highly recommend making the best of not being tied down and being intentional about going out. You don’t have to do the bar or club or party thing but go try a new sport, attend a sporting event, outdoor concert, new art exhibit, take yourself out to a good meal, or whatever else you want to do but the point is to get out, meet people, and have fun. Also, if you’re planning to meet someone, it’s highly unlikely that they’ll be at your doorstep begging you to step away from streaming Netflix, scrolling through other people’s social media accounts, and feeling sorry for yourself. I’m just saying. 

Explore New Circles. Because I don’t have too many single girlfriends who are on the same page about this whole bachelorette thing, I’ve had to go out and meet new people. I’ve been out with people from work, people I’ve met at events I’ve attended alone, people I’ve been introduced to through mutual friends, and more, and sometimes, it hasn’t been easy. But if you want to have certain experiences and not go it alone, you have to think about where different people might be that are doing the things you want to do. This world is full of incredible people who would love to get to know you. Go find them. Go meet them. 

Maximize your time. Don’t waste it. 





Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And