Skip to main content

About Depression

Frustrations. Disappointments. Traumas. 

In time, they can all pile up and negatively take a toll on you to the point where you don’t feel like your normal self anymore. 

And eventually, they can all lead to depression. 

Depression can hit anyone. Even seemingly positive and put together people, who appear they’re doing just fine on the outside. 

For some, it doesn’t take much for it to kick in. For others, it can be a whole list of things and one of the most important things is recognizing when things have felt or seemed off for a long time, and then deciding to seek help. 

I’ve had seasons where I’ve struggled with depression to the point where I didn’t want to get out of bed, be around anyone, and didn’t care much about how I looked when I left home. Other times I’d just cry, sleep for a long time, isolate myself, stop eating or overeat depending on how I felt at the time, allow my emotions to take over, and stay angry and complain, for days, about everything I felt was wrong with different things in my life. 

And eventually, I’d tell God how angry I was with Him. 

I’m definitely not one of those Christians who does the whole, “Hey! I’m blessed and highly favored…” responses when someone asks how I’m doing. Especially when things have been rough. I don’t even use that line when things are good. But I find it funny that so many other Christians do. It’s like a default setting response in different Christian communities.  

If you’re reading this and wondering, “How dare she?!” Just chill. I love God, but I had to keep it real with Him. He already knows how we’re all feeling anyway, right? Why not be honest? 

In my mind, many things that happened were His fault. My pain, discontentment, and frustrations would build to the point where I was deeply hurt, angry, confused, and disappointed with Him. Especially during seasons where things seemed super unfair and unjust. 

I’m not perfect, and sure, I’ve fallen short at times, but I actively strive to live a life that’s pleasing to God. 

After I’d throw my pity parties and sit with my depression, I’d eventually muster the strength to pray, write, and start reaching out to people I knew I could trust and lean on for guidance and encouragement. And eventually, the depression would lift. Although I was still disappointed and recovering from different things that triggered it, I wasn’t in a space so bad and dark that I couldn’t recover. 

I’m addressing this because mental health has become a huge topic of conversation in the world today, and there are people actively struggling with depression. Some people feel obligated to pretend everything’s fine, when everything’s not, and sadly, carry things in silence when they’d love nothing more than to release the weights of all that’s weighing them down. 

No one has to go through what they’re going through alone.

If you’re struggling with depression or know someone who is, please seek help. Get counseling if you need to. Talk to a trusted friend or family member or even pour your thoughts and feelings into a journal. Consider exercise, getting outdoors and taking in the fresh air and sunlight of a new day, or make time to catch up with people who can lift your spirits. You’re going to get through whatever you’re dealing with, and you don’t have to go through it by yourself.


Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...