Skip to main content

Picture Perfect?

A photo can reveal a lot about a person. On a surface level, different photos can show someone who seems happy, attractive, put together, and portray an image of happiness but not always tell the truth about what someone in a photo may be experiencing in real life.

Photos are not always what they seem. 

I can testify to the fact that behind some of the most beautiful photos I’ve taken or had taken, have been some stories and silent storms no one would ever know about. The interesting thing is that in my real life, I often have different people tell me how confident they think I am and how much I inspire them. And when people say things like that to me and seek me out for encouragement, counsel, advice, or a quick pep talk, I aim to be humble and transparent with them about the fact that as confident as they think I am, my life is not without challenges, trials, and disappointments. My self-esteem and life also take on some occasional one-two punches too. 

In the photo above, I’m smiling. I did a photoshoot for my 29thbirthday and was excited about it but at the same time, I was in the midst of a challenging and discouraging season that was pressing my faith and spiritually and physically draining. 

At the time, I’d also twisted my left ankle after slipping and falling weeks before the shoot, and somehow managed to wear high heels in that photo too… it’s just that I was able to still have joy during that moment. 

So if this is true of what I’ve written, don’t you think the same could be said about many of the photos you see on social media or anywhere else? It could be true for you too. I promise that the real people you see in those photos or even incredibly filtered ones are going through challenges too, which is why it’s dangerous to compare yourself or your life to anyone else’s. 

I get that may be hard to avoid sometimes, but again, photos are not always what they seem. 

Especially in a filtered world with great filter features. But what happens when you can’t put one of those filters on a work situation that’s testing your patience? Or a significant other who’s not being the partner you want/need? Or when you have an unexpected injury or illness? Or when someone you love dies? Or when someone you love lets you down? 

There are no filters for those things. 

Those things come with living life and life and its challenges rarely escape anyone. Take all the fun, pretty, exciting, and joyful photos you want to. But understand that there’s no need to put on a façade for anyone. Don’t always fall for what you see on the surface or be quick to assume someone has it better than you do. 

At the end of the day, no one’s life is picture perfect. And that’s okay. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far