Skip to main content

Insights, Warnings, And People Who Don’t Listen

Whenever I’ve tried to help someone or caution them to either stay away from someone I knew or deeply sensed didn’t mean them well, or warned them about someone wasn’t really a good person, or to not rush into a decision that would either complicate or temporarily ruin their life, or to think twice before taking on and accepting an opportunity that may not be the best for them, and the person I tried to help or warn didn’t listen?

Some rough consequences usually followed. 

I've often received sorrowful, disheartening, and painful phone calls, texts, emails, or messages about the aftermath of a bad breakup. A cheating significant other. An unhappy marriage. An unexpected divorce. An unplanned pregnancy. An unwanted pregnancy. The demise of a once-trusted friendship. The unraveling of seasonal friendships. Discontentment and stress brought on by taking on a job or remaining in a job that’s served its purpose for a season. Or opportunities, financial commitments, newly added relationships, responsibilities, or anything else that was just too much. 

When I meet people for the first time (who literally pour their hearts out to me the moment we meet…) or those I’m well acquainted with who bring me these kinds of problems, I find myself not only in a posture of prayer and trying to strategize and encourage them through the crisis they may find themselves in, but I also wonder, How could they not see this coming? There were so many promptings, red flags, and warning signs. 

I’m aware that life can and will take us all by surprise and bring on the unexpected at times, but I believe there are times when we receive insights, warnings, and revelations concerning different people and places in our lives and the kind of decisions we need to make. 

Lately, this has been something that’s been troubling my spirit and weighing on my mind.

Trying to figure out why people don’t listen and pay attention. 

We all make decisions. Some good. Some bad. But regardless, making wise and well-informed decisions is an important skill to continually put into practice as adults. I’ll admit, I’ve made plenty of mistakes, handfuls of bad choices and dumb decisions, and wondered, what was I thinking?! I’ve carefully examined and learned from my mistakes and have remained open to learning as much as I can. I’ve also looked at different decisions that others in and around my life have made and have recognized what to do and what not to do as well.  

And I encourage you to do the same. Pay very close attention to your life. 

The signs, patterns, transitions, good and bad choices, and the role you play and have played in each situation and take the time to reflect on your own insights and times you should have listened to your inner voice or warnings from God and different seasoned people in your life. 

Do…

·     Seek God about your life choices and what He believes is best for you and listen to what He says. 
·     Talk to seasoned adults, mentors, or counselors who can provide honest insight, sound advice, and wisdom about different things you have questions about. 
·     Be selective about who you spend your time with, open up to, and who you allow in your space. 
·     Take good care of yourself and make yourself a priority. Spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally. 

Don’t…

·     Make major life decisions impulsively. Use your mind and think. Again, seek God. 
·     Rush into anything you know you’re not ready for. 
·     Say yes to a significant other, job opportunity, promotion, or anyone or anything else without getting as much information as you can about how that yes will impact your time, energy, and other areas of your life.
·     Take on a serious financial commitment without being properly prepared for it or equipped to handle it.
·     Make decisions about your life based on what your friends or family are doing or want you to do. 

When you spend time with God, and I hope you do, ask Him for insight and wisdom concerning all the areas of your life. He’ll reveal different things to you about what you should be doing and need to be doing in the current season you're in and the seasons to come. I understand this may not always be easy, convenient, or comfortable, but it’s worth it. 



Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far