Skip to main content

You Don’t Have To Land A Book Deal To Get Published

I’ve written three books. A ton of blog posts. And a bunch of other writing pieces too. And while I’ve had some success here and there with writing, at the start of the year I was discouraged about not having any of my books published yet. When I originally envisioned being a “successful writer” I thought that meant I needed a published book to my name. 

I reached out to a lot of different publishers, some who showed interest and others who didn’t and was having little to no movement with landing a book deal. Growing frustrated, I strongly considered self-publishing, which would allow me three things: getting published, creative control, and owning the rights to my work. And as the months into this year continued, no deal was on the table yet, so I decided to switch up my strategy and pursue writing opportunities with different online sites with content I enjoy reading. 

I could write for the sites I enjoy, I thought. Every time I read different content on the sites I followed, I made a list to connect with them and started reaching out. And guess what? I got plenty of rejections, a handful of feedback and constructive criticism, invites to revise and resubmit different rejected submissions, and then, unexpectedly, I finally got published on two incredible sites:

As Told Over Brunch & Thought Catalog 😊 

Getting published isn’t easy, but it’s attainable. 

There’s a lot of rejection in the writing and publishing industry, however, having sites whose content you enjoy reading publish yours is an amazing feeling. 

Conceiving and birthing stories, and watching them grow, is truly one of the best feelings ever. It’s rewarding and exciting having the opportunity to finally experience something I’ve prayed for and worked hard and relentlessly for, come to life. Plus, I’m actively building my legacy in the process. Piece by piece. Story by story. 

For years, I limited myself to just getting published by releasing a book, failing to realize I could get published in other ways too. You don’t have to land a book deal to get published. That’s not to say that I won’t continue pursuing a book deal or be open to being presented with the opportunity, but maintaining my blog, Making Waves, writing for other sites I enjoy, and just waking up every day to do what I love is enough for me. 

I’m not entirely sure where writing will lead me, but I’m hoping it takes me beyond anything and everything I could ever have hoped for.

We’ll see. 



Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...