Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Dating Single Dads

Well, when I was dating, every guy had a child/children. I was older and established in my career. I liked the guys I dated, got to know them. I only met the guy’s kids who I wound up marrying. All that to say, you might miss out. I used to say the same thing, “Date no one with kids.” The downside though, the drama that may come with it. You do what works for you… 

I had just finished reading the text from one of my mentors. I wanted her insight and advice about dating guys with kids. I’d recently decided to be more open and put myself “out there” in the dating world and I noticed that most of the guys I frequently ran into or were meeting were single dads. 

I don’t have kids, and I usually don’t date or entertain the idea of dating guys who do. 

I’ve had some valid reservations for not wanting to, after having some awkward and uncomfortable moments even while just being in the talking stage with guys who were single dads. I’ve found that most of the ones I’ve encountered have been charming, cool, kind, had good intentions (at first), take care of their kids, and have cordial relationships with the mother of their child/children, however, there’s also been the issue of time, conflicting and demanding schedules, canceling plans at the last minute, and conversations about what a future together might look like as far as settling down and having more kids. 

I’ve also noticed a lot of hostile and mostly negative social media rants and posts on a regular basis in my newsfeed from some single moms who aren’t the biggest fans of their child/children’s fathers dating, marrying, or moving forward with another woman. 

A number of my mentors are all married to men who had a child/children from previous relationships. These women married later in life, and are all incredibly successful, established, and well-educated and seemed happy and confident with their decisions to choose partners with blended families. I was always certain that I didn’t want my family unit to be like that, though. If I made the choice to become a parent, I always wanted it to be with a guy I’d be married to who didn’t have kids. We’d start a family when we both were on the same page about it and ready. I grew up in a two-parent home and my brother and I share the same parents. When my parents got married, neither one of them had children from previous relationships and they both indicated they didn’t want partners who did. They grew up during a time when people already having kids prior to marriage wasn’t nearly as common as it is now.

Different guys I’ve met or talked to who had a child/children were vocal and upfront about settling down (if they hadn’t married yet) or wanting to do it again (if they were separated or divorced) and almost all of them wanted more kids. For a woman who already has a child/children, these scenarios may seem ideal but for some women who don’t, things can get complicated. I have girlfriends who don’t have kids who have no interest in dating guys with kids. And I have girlfriends who don’t have kids who don’t mind dating guys who have them.

As one of my mentors mentioned above, ultimately, you should do what works for you.
I’ve been encouraged by different family and friends to avoid guys with kids, along with the following warnings:

“Don’t do it.” 
“Just know, you’ll always come second in a situation where a child/children are involved. The child/children will always come first.”
“His baby mama is going to bring problems and drama.” 
“Their child/children may not like you.”

Other family and friends have had opposite thoughts, like:

“Well, it’s really hard to meet guys who don’t have kids these days.”
“There are a lot of good guys who take care of their kids.”
“Kids like you, though. So you’d be fine.” 
“If you marry someone who already has a kid/kids, at least your future kids will have older siblings to look out for them too.” 

I don’t discriminate and won’t completely dismiss the idea of dating a single dad, but ideally, I’d prefer a partner with no kids. I know my boundaries and my patience and the capacity of what I can/can’t handle. Not feeling like a priority in someone else’s family structure, being second all the time, and being measured and judged on whether I’d be qualified enough to date someone based on what their child/children think of me or what their child’s mother thinks is a lot to take on. If you’re a bachelorette who decides to date a single dad, do you. If not, that’s fine too. Just be sure you’re making a choice you’re okay with and not based on what everyone else thinks you should or shouldn’t do. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far