Skip to main content

3 Ways To Recover From A Setback

You’re going to fail at different things in this life. It’s inevitable, but you’ll learn from those failures and hopefully understand what to do differently next time. A number of the ones you experience will also cause setbacks too, but you can recover from those as well. 

There are areas I've failed in and recovered from too. 

Something like failing a test can prompt you to buckle down and study harder. A failed project at work can show you what does and doesn’t work so you succeed with the next upcoming assignment. Overspending and getting in debt may prompt you to budget and exercise better self-control. I’ve found that failures and setbacks can be recovered from if you’re willing to change. 3 ways to recover from a setback? 

Reflect. Whenever I’ve had a setback, made a dumb decision (and lived with the consequences), or failed at something, I reflect on what happened and ask myself, “What can I learn from this?” Reflecting prompts introspection, your role in the setbacks you’ve had, and how you can move forward. Some situations and circumstances will be out of your control but making decisions is a choice. You decide whether to go to school or not. You decide to follow instructions or choose to rebel. And you decide how to manage your finances. What kind of decisions are you making?

Strategize. A great strategy can be highly effective. When I was a broke college student, I maxed out a credit card my freshman year. And guess who paid for that choice? Me. My mom helped me strategize how to pay the card off and once I did, I learned a valuable lesson about money and delayed gratification. I learned to use cash, budget, and to assess the difference between wants and needs. What strategies can you implement in your own various setbacks? 

Go Forward. It’s okay to be sad, angry, and disappointed when you face a setback of any kind, but don’t stay in those areas. You’ve got work to do. And you’re going to be okay. Don’t be deterred because you’ve made mistakes. I’ve made a lot of them and I’m still standing. God knew what mistakes you’d make before you even made them. Take things one step at a time and move forward. You’re going to be okay. You’ve got this. 




Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...