Skip to main content

Bachelorette Guide To Attending Baby Showers

I think baby showers can be lovely, but I’m not a fan of gender reveals. Over recent years, both events have gone far too trendy and revealing, and while there’s nothing wrong with throwing celebrations in honor of new life coming into this world, the way gender reveals have taken off seems troubling. Does everyone really need to know the sex of your new baby, or is it better to keep that kind of news to yourself and between family and close friends until your baby arrives? If gender reveals are your thing, have at it. If not? Don’t feel obligated to have them. Either way, almost every bachelorette, myself included, gets invites for them. And if one plans to attend baby showers or gender reveals, there are some things to know so that you’re on your best behavior and the new moms-to-be can enjoy your company. Here’s my bachelorette guide to attending these events… 

Fake It 'Til You Make It. Your presence will be desired for these kinds of events sometimes. Deal with it. And if you attend, make it a priority to fake it 'til you make it if you have to. It’s just an event welcoming a new life into this world and new life, especially babies, are blessings 👶. If I become a mom someday, I don’t plan on making a fuss about having a baby shower and I will do everything I can to avoid having a gender reveal, but when attending these events, it’s important to be supportive. No one wants a Negative Nancy hanging around, so do what you have to do to have a good time. Chat up other guests, enjoy yourself, and be present. 

Get A Quality Gift. I once waited until the last minute to pick up a baby shower gift for a friend’s shower. I was warned by a seasoned mother, my own mother to be specific, to add more to the gift I picked up. She said, “When a woman opens gifts at baby showers everyone circles around and watches her open every gift, one gift at a time.” She was trying to warn me. When my gift and card was next to open, a very awkward silence hit the room and I was so embarrassed. My gift kind of sucked and was super basic. I learned my lesson that day and don’t plan on waiting until the last minute again. Pick up a quality gift, know where the mom-to-be is registered (so you can get things she’s actually requested and needs for the baby), and include a little something extra for the mom-to-be too. 

Watch Yourself, Your Mouth & Your Touching. Sometimes people say thoughtless things to new moms, about new moms, and do offensive things to new moms without realizing it. When you’re attending a baby shower or gender reveal or even crossing paths with a new mom for the first time: watch yourself, watch your mouth, and watch your touching. Don’t tell a new mom or any mother how to raise her child – even if you disagree with how something’s being done. It’s best to keep your opinions to yourself. Don’t offer unsolicited advice about parenting, especially if you’re not a parent. Don’t comment on how much weight a new mom may have gained (it’s not nice) and don’t touch her belly or ask if you can touch her belly unless she’s given consent and doesn’t mind you doing so. And if the new mom-to-be has already given birth? Don’t touch the baby without the mom’s consent or snap a photo of the baby without permission, or you might see a mama bear come out you never imagine existed. Some moms are touchy and particular about anyone handling their babies and that’s something that should be respected. Honor their requests and be a great guest. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And