Skip to main content

Rejoice In Being Unchosen

I had a choice. I could get salty and remain upset about what happened, or I could rejoice in being unchosen. At the end of last year, I was struggling with disappointment in my professional life. At work, an announcement was made about different people being promoted. And I wasn’t chosen. Some of my colleagues were surprised I wasn’t. Strangely, I was too. When the news broke, I believed not being chosen somehow devalued who I was as an employee. However, I couldn’t have been more wrong.

John 13:7 reads, “Jesus replied, “You don’t realize now what I am doing. But later you will understand.”  

Slowly but surely, I was beginning to understand. I got myself together and congratulated almost everyone I knew who was promoted, even those who were rubbing it in. Although the way things went down felt cruel and unfair, I knew celebrating others was the right thing to do. I felt foolish for allowing myself to wallow in self-pity and self-doubt, for months, about not being chosen. I spoke with other colleagues who were unchosen too. A number of them had a hard time processing what happened. They were (and still are) well educated, respectable, professional, hard-working, and strongly qualified individuals, who would make exceptional leaders. I also learned a number of them had been overlooked for promotions for years. As I sat with what happened, listened to their stories, and made some observations, I learned: 

·     A title doesn’t make you something you’re not, it just enhances who you already are.
·     You have value no matter what. Your value is not based on a title, position, amount of income, or someone’s inability to recognize your value. 
·     Often, there’s protection in being unchosen for certain things. 
·     What God has in store for you goes far beyond what you think or could ever imagine, even when things don’t make sense at first. 
·     And how you treat people, especially as you rise to the top, matters. Arrogance stumbles. Humbleness soars.

There will be times when people are chosen and promoted over you who are not as qualified as you are or have worked, sacrificed, and given as much as you have. It happens. But if you got a promotion or opportunity not meant for you, it would likely make you miserable and unhappy and delay what God really has in store for you. In the past, I’ve trained new people who ended up in higher roles and positions I was in, and while that was disheartening and humiliating to experience, it led me to seek God’s will concerning my path. 

Rejoice in being unchosen. 

God may be protecting and redirecting you towards future opportunities that align with your true callings and gifts. As hard as it might be at times, you have to trust Him and move through the process. One of my prayers has been, Lord, I don’t want anything that’s not mine. That prayer is aimed at all areas of my life: career opportunities, new roles, friendships, dating, any kind of connections or relationships, and anything else that involves me or my time. Try saying that prayer for your own life too and see how things start shifting and falling in place. God’s the one in charge. Even when things don’t go as you hoped. Again, rejoice in being unchosen. As a matter of fact, celebrate it. Because it’s a refreshing reminder God is guiding you beyond where you’re at. Which is an indication that some amazing and exciting things are on the horizon for you! 

You don’t have to force, manipulate, or plead your way into positions or opportunities that are already yours. Do your best, aim high, and work hard but know that what’s meant for you can never be taken by someone else. What’s not meant for you will pass you by. Your hard work, faithfulness, and commitment will be valued and appreciated and won’t be overlooked by the people, places, and positions already lined up for you. Be encouraged, keep grinding, and shine. You’ve got this. 


*The photo above is from one of my favorite films called Bruce Almighty. It’s a hilarious comedy starring Jim Carrey that hits home on this particular topic. If you need a good laugh and some encouragement, it’s the perfect film for the job. Enjoy! 

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts From a Black Educator: Qualified, Credentialed, and Constantly Undermined

I’m a Black educator in my fifth year of teaching middle school English, and in my third as the 8th Grade English PLC (Professional Learning Community) Lead. And while I genuinely enjoy the purposeful work I get to do, seeing the growth of my scholars, and continuing to hone my skills in a content area I’ve loved since I was a little girl, I’ve had to confront some unpleasant experiences in this space.  I’d been through much worse when I was an academic advisor at a Christian university. Racism, sexism, harassment, and workplace bullying were sadly norms in that environment. However, some of what I’ve experienced as a Black educator hasn’t been normal … It doesn’t seem normal to be the only Black educator in my department – in a predominantly Black school. One of my Black colleagues once said, “It should look like a Tyler Perry movie in here.” But it doesn’t. It didn’t feel normal being reprimanded in a meeting (during my second year of teaching) by an administrator who went in on...

Ditching Dating And Decentering Men

Today’s current dating climate is bizarre. It’s grown so bizarre, that men barely, if ever in some cases, will approach a woman in person and ask her out on a date. Instead, the new normal has become DM sliding, creeping on social media accounts, and liking photos to build romantic connections, which honestly doesn’t sound too romantic or appealing to me at all. As a child of the 90s and a teenager of the early 2000s, I miss and prefer the time when men interacted with women without hiding behind technology. There was something special about handwritten cards and notes, thoughtful dates, serendipity, and intentionality. After having some unpleasant encounters, embarrassing moments, and failed set ups (from well meaning people who believe I need to be partnered), I’ve decided, that now, at 36, to choose me. I’m ditching dating and decentering men. I’m no longer interested in meeting anyone, dating, or creating space to prioritize a relationship. I’ve never been a male-centered woman any...

The Day I Took A Concealed Carry Course

Ability, opportunity, and intent are three words I’ll never forget after taking my first concealed carry course. Learning about firearm safety, how to properly purchase and use a firearm, and obtaining my concealed carry license were goals I set for myself and accomplished at the end of last year. Although I felt completely outside my comfort zone, I knew taking these steps were important to me. Mainly because of the current state of our world and society in general. During the course with Concealed Coalition, our instructor began by stating that the world seems more hostile than ever. He shared how you could be an innocent person minding your own business and suddenly find yourself in a situation where a firearm is present or needed. When he asked, “What made you take this course?” I responded, “For protection.” The course was filled with men and women there for the same reason and others. We all learned about specific laws in place surrounding firearms, the steps to purchase them, ho...