Skip to main content

Christians & Tattoos

I have three tattoos. And I’ve been thinking of getting a few more. I also happen to be a Christian that really digs tattoos. I think they’re unique, creative, and beautiful. However, in the Christian faith, they’re also a topic of controversy. There are a lot of people, particularly certain Christians, who view tattoos as sinful and rebellious. A popular go-to scripture supporting those who are opposed to tattoos can be found in Leviticus 19:28 which reads, “Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the LORD.”

Some Christians have even insisted that getting tattoos can send you to hell. But I strongly disagree. In fact, I don’t believe tattoos are a heaven or hell issue that dictates anyone’s salvation. And I’ve got a problem with any Christians who go around telling anyone they’re going to hell. First of all, who do you think you are? Surely you can’t think you’re God. Neither is your pastor or your church community or any other religious organizations you might be affiliated with. You’re in no position to call where someone’s soul will end up. I’m abundantly grateful God’s not like man, in the sense that he wouldn’t condemn someone or quickly toss them aside because of something like a tattoo…or several of them. I know preachers who have them. Youth pastors, choir members, ushers, teachers, mentors, counselors, and more, who happen to be Christians and don’t have any kind of shame about being inked.

When I got my first tattoo, I was terrified. The thought of a painful needle was the least of my worries. Going through the physical process of getting tattoos wasn’t as painful as I imagined.  What troubled me the most was pushing through a lot of shame, worry, and limited thinking about what certain Christians might say or think of me once they saw me with one. And now I have three! So, I’m not as bothered or concerned about what others think as I once was. I had a former friend who opposed what I was doing, though. She shared that my decision was something a future spouse may not be okay with, which I found odd. Personally, I’d never put my life on hold or a decision about what I want to do with my body because of what a spouse I don’t have or may eventually have, thinks. I’m not married. And even if I was, getting a tattoo is not something I’d ask permission to do anyway. I’m a grown woman who makes my own choices. And if you’re a young woman who meets a guy who has an issue with your tattoo/tattoos before you start dating, reconsider if you want to be with someone who doesn’t accept you as you are. Anyways, I believe getting tattoos or deciding not to get them is an individual choice. Whether Christian or not, no one is in a position to judge you because of your choice. Do you and live your life.  

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far