Skip to main content

5 Truths About Creative People

I know a handful of creatives involved in different things ranging from music, art, fashion, styling, writing, blogging, business, and more, who often challenge and create and deliver new ideas to their various platforms and callings. While being creative is cool, it also has its challenges. People who aren’t creative usually don’t understand or mesh well with those who are, which is challenging in itself. It’s not that we can’t all get along, it’s just that creatives often see things on different levels and have an opposite approach to different things in life from the way they create to how they interact with other people. Some truths about creative people? Keep reading…

They Need Time Alone. This is probably one of the biggest things to know about creatives. They often need time alone. Uninterrupted. Unbothered. Undisturbed. One of my biggest pet peeves whenever I’m brainstorming, writing, blogging, or trying to read or listen to something that may help my process is when someone starts talking to me or interrupting my flow. A lot of people who aren’t involved in something creative may get offended when someone creative is short with them or gets upset when interrupted, but please try not to take it personally. We all need time alone sometimes. I do my best work when I’m able to be alone to create at my best and fullest capacity. 

They’re Often Misunderstood. Talk to any creative person you know, and I bet at one point or another, they’ve felt misunderstood. It happens a lot. Whenever you’re a creative constructing anything from the ground up, whether it’s a dope song, an incredible painting, or a new business venture, anticipate little to no support in the early stages, criticism, and perhaps some controversy heading your way. A lot of people may think you’re odd, crazy, silly, or wasting your time but someone is going to get on board with what you’re doing. As long as you like/love what you’re creating, ultimately, that’s all that matters. You will eventually connect with a lot of people, but don’t allow your creativity to be defined by people. People are inconsistent. Dare to let go of the need to be understood. You will reach who you’re supposed to reach. 

They’re Often Introverted. I was surprised to learn that public figures like Jared Leto, J.K. Rowling, and Steven Spielberg were introverts. As creative and incredible as they are in things like writing, music, filmmaking, and more, it was interesting and inspiring to learn that off the stage of what they do for a living, they’re introverted. Some of the most creative people I know are very quiet, to themselves, and again, need time alone. I’m the same way, which is why it surprises me when someone perceives me as outgoing or extroverted. I’m definitely more of an introvert. I don’t mind going out and meeting different people sometimes, but things like large crowds and people who talk too much can be personally overwhelming sometimes too. 

They Date Differently. I find creative people attractive. And creative guys? My oh my 😍. They’re intriguing, and they understand what it’s like to occasionally need space to create. I’ve heard opposites attract but I believe creatives date differently. You may recognize that a lot of them are very single too. They may want to be in relationships but aren’t defined by them nor do they worship them. Creatives dating creatives can be cool and may even challenge one another to be better. Some creatives may lean towards someone who’s entirely different from them, in the sense that they’re not into the world of arts or creativity, but I imagine that’d be challenging. It honestly depends on what someone’s preference is. To each their own. 

They Usually Don’t Follow Trends. If one wants to change the game, it can’t and won’t be done by being a carbon-copy of someone else. Truly creative people may get inspired by what someone else has done but they often take what inspires them and maximize things on an entirely different level. Creatives don’t need to fit in. Especially the ones who know who they are. A lot of them avoid what’s trendy. They break rules and set new trends. I love when someone does something different that commands attention. Different is what changes the game. And it can’t be done doing what’s always been done. Be creative and dare to be different. It’s a good look. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far