Skip to main content

Millennial Guide To Navigating Grown Up Jobs

When I graduated from college, I had some big dreams and career goals in mind. I applied for different opportunities for about five months before I finished school. I’d already been on interviews for different jobs that I went out for and had different offers to choose from, but none of which aligned with my professional goals or dreams. I’d even applied to places I was super overqualified for, but because the clock was ticking and I was growing weary and worried about continually watching Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reruns on my mom and dad’s couch, it was time to take a job that was available. About two months after I graduated, I accepted a position as an academic advisor. 

I was warned about different challenges that would come with the role. I was also encouraged by others to consider seeking employment elsewhere, but I needed a job, so I gave it a shot. 

My first year as an academic advisor was rough. 

I was naïve to the expectations, demands, and realities that came with the position, and to what it’d be like working in a higher education culture in general. I weathered some challenges and storms that nothing I learned in classroom lectures could have prepared me for. I worked hard to keep up with learning about different college programs, registering students for courses, working with non-traditional college students, navigating the world of financial aid, and sometimes counseling different students through challenges and personal issues they were navigating in their lives that had nothing to do with their education. The best days have consisted of successfully helping different students accomplish their goals and seeing them succeed in their academics. The rough days have consisted of some students quitting school, some not being able to financially afford to pursue or continue their education, having difficult conversations with parents who may want the best for their children but are adamant about controlling their adult-aged children’s academic futures and career paths, which is troubling. It's best to allow young adults to pursue paths and callings God has purposed for them as opposed to what someone else may want for them and want them to be. I’ve also been challenged working with students who choose not to believe in themselves, and some, who’ve blamed others for why they can’t be successful when they have the power, tools, and resources to be great. Those unpleasant moments have sometimes left me overwhelmed and defeated and wanting to give up. At one point when things were getting really challenging, I thought, “God, why am I here? I’m a writer. And I’ve got some big dreams resting inside me. Surely you have something else in mind. I’m deeply frustrated in my spirit. What do I do about this?”

I later realized God was grooming, developing, and positioning me. And I surrendered to it. Different things with my character needed to be refined and strengthened that I’m not certain I would’ve worked on or worked through if I wasn’t an academic advisor. I’ve worked and talked with many people who feel frustrated, stifled, overlooked, and undervalued in different positions and jobs they’re currently employed in, and to them, and especially to all the millennials out there, I write this, stay the course. You’re going to figure it out and you’re not alone. The things you don’t like might be the things God uses to develop and bless you. I’ve weathered the storms of being kind when other people have been rude and nasty, maintained my professionalism in difficult situations, and have resisted the urge to be petty instead of lowering myself to hastily respond to insults, disruptions, and distractions. And I’ve grown to understand that no title, amount of income, or even a degree (or multiple degrees for that matter), positions, or status, will ever define who you are as a person or make you something you’re not. Those things simply enhance who you already are. Move through your job and the things that come with it. What you experience in your current position will be purposeful and useful. Also, remember these things too… 

Don’t Burn Bridges. You’re likely going to pass through a number of different jobs and positions before you get to your dream career. And I highly recommend that you don’t burn bridges in the process. I’ve worked for past employers who did and said different things I didn’t like or agree with, and sometimes, it was hard not getting upset about different things myself and others were not in agreement with, but I’ve always aimed to be mindful not to burn bridges. If you’re planning to leave a place and move forward elsewhere, do so on a positive note. Don’t be rude or nasty or unprofessional. Even if your employers or employment experiences weren’t the best. You can still choose to control your responses and shift your perspective. 

Make The Position Yours. One of the biggest things I’ve gained from being an academic advisor is learning how to deal with diverse groups of people. Everyone from the students I work with, to professors, to management, to my colleagues have all taught me how to be a better and more effective communicator and how to take the position I’m in and make it mine. When God created us, He blessed us all with different gifts. Ask yourself how you might be able to incorporate those gifts and your unique personality into the position you’re currently in. If you can, I bet you’ll be able to navigate your job in a more positive and impactful way. When I work with a student, I maintain a professional posture, but also communicate with them in a way where they feel comfortable being themselves and are comfortable sharing different academic and personal challenges they’ve been going through. Every student is different and every situation I deal with is different. If I can get a feel for someone’s personality and what they might be up against, I can help them resolve their issues and accomplish their goals. 

Don’t Stop Working Towards Your Dreams. A lot of people get frustrated at jobs because they either don’t know the difference between a job and a career or they believe the job they’re at is where they’ll be forever. I get it because I’ve wrestled with those things, but I also know God’s placed different goals and dreams in my heart, spirit, and future that go beyond my familiarity. If this is true for me, have you considered the same may be true for you too? I can’t stand whining, complaining, or negativity at work or anywhere else. People who complain about things and don’t use what frustrates them to motivate them towards solutions or something better are annoying. Especially when they fail to realize they can change their situations by first changing their minds and using what they have to work towards their dreams. Even if you enjoy your job, I still recommend working towards your dreams. And be willing to get a little uncomfortable while you’re doing so. And if you’re feeling massively uncomfortable in a position you’re currently in, it’s probably God shaking things up to get you where He wants you to be. Be grateful for where you are but be prepared for where you’re going. You’ve got this. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Of Being Ghosted

Ghosting: the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication. I’ve been ghosted by every guy I’ve met within the past two years. About  six  to be exact. ·        The first guy pursued me and then got shady whenever I asked him about what he did for a living and where he lived. When he started dodging and avoiding questions, wouldn’t initiate dates, and slowly stopped keeping in touch with me altogether, eventually, all communication ceased. ·        The second guy was someone I met through a family member. He was super cool, very smart, handsome, and funny, but didn’t want to be in a relationship and acted like he didn’t want to be seen with me publicly. When we had plans to meet for an outing, he didn’t show up, and then texted me about a week later with an apology. We chilled at my place a few times, had a few phone conversations, and exchanged occasional texts, but eventually he stopped responding to me

Teacher Table Talk: When Parents Attack

As an English teacher, a core belief I’ve held close since the beginning of my career has been the importance of relationship building. I believe that if great relationships between teachers, students, and parents are established at the beginning of the school year, everything else will fall into place. Authentically modeling, practicing, and establishing mutually respectful and professional relationships within my classroom has been the bridge for effective communication, solid classroom management, and creating a safe and effective learning environment that fits each of my student’s needs.  And though I’ve seen and experienced the benefits of great relationship building, unfortunately, there have been times when some students and parents have not been receptive or interested in my efforts to establish connections that would best serve all parties involved. I’ve also noticed and shared spaces with other educators, school counselors, and administrators who’ve experienced the same. And

How To Respond To A Nasty Email

Technology has made many people bold, rude, and incredibly messy. Often to the point where some may hide behind words they’ve typed instead of verbally communicating a message they want to convey. Such can be the case when it comes to sending emails. Ah, emails. You know what they are. Electronic messages that can be quickly drafted, sent, and misinterpreted (because you can’t always interpret tones or emotions through them). Which is why it’s key to know how to respond to nasty emails if they should ever come your way – especially in the workplace.       As a working professional, there have been plenty of times when a coworker or superior sent an email my way that was petty, mad disrespectful, and unprofessional. And before I learned how to properly utilize email etiquette, my first instinct would always be to clap back. I just felt the need to respond and to communicate that I wouldn’t allow anyone, no matter who they were, to disrespect me. And while I haven’t taken things too far